[governance] PINGO

Lee W McKnight lmcknigh at syr.edu
Sun May 11 20:58:39 EDT 2014

Wolfgang,

Just to correct/clarify some historical footnotes...2 dynamic coalitions launched at the 2nd IGF in Rio in 2007, one on a (Bill of) Internet Rights, and one on  a Framework for Internet Principles; which we agreed to merge at the 3rd IGF in Hyderabad in 2008.

That then carried forward as the Dynamic Coalition on Internet Rights and Principles; from which work began on the Charter on Internet Rights and Principles, or it evolved from the Internet Bill of Rights drafts depending upon ones point of view; accelerating at 4th IGF in Egypt in 2009...and rest is history with Dynamic Coalition's Internet Rights and Principles Charter released in long and short form in 2011.

It has evolved since then with a 2nd edition which of course is far from the only such statement; but perhaps was the only one translated into 22 languages way back when.

Obviously I agree that progressing from the many dispersed statements into a short summary of (shared) Internet principles is a significant accomplishment of NetMundial.

Bravo to all for that accomplishment - however imperfect any of us might find an individual phrase here or there, fact of its existence and broad endorsement is still something to celebrate.

Lee