[governance] Re: [discuss] List membership management

JFC Morfin jefsey at jefsey.com
Tue May 6 12:15:15 EDT 2014

On 16:21 06/05/2014, Avri Doria said:
>Having said all of that, how will it change the fact that some people
>don't like some other peoples modalities of contribution?

Dear Avri,

I switch to a list I am on.

you cannot change that the /1NET list is supposed to help ICANN
introducing a true MS process the NTIA can accept. What obviously
(whatever your opinion on what an MS process should be) ICANN shows
it does not know how to managing it. We have nothing against ICANN
itself: they are not responsible from proceeding from an
architectural BUG. All I observe is that my French constitutional
precautionary duty obliges me (and my fellow citizens, as well as
separately my Governement) to have a contingency plan ready.

After that, there are two way of seeing the internet architecture: as
being hierarchical or distributed. The NTIA's move "opens" the
hierachy (enlarging it from Executive to Legislative branch) what
unstabilizes the "one unique single root, hat, mail, responsibility,
etc." people. But its does not open enough for the independent users
who have many things to consider (and for that reason dream to get
rid of US money centralisation/mess we are certainly not against
America, we are just bored by the US military-industrial-congress
financial complex, just as many US people, we are bored to be
purchased all the day long and of the poor salesmen tricks being
used. I am sure you know that feeling too). This means that the /1NET
process which is destined to engineer an agreement for the NTIA
support, and the IANAtransition destined to engineed a support for
the ICANN candidacy, are failing apart. Simply because the choice of
ICANN for the position open by the NTIA is *really* inadequate. They
even failed Sao Paulo.

IMHO you should try to associate with the reasonable people (not
infeodated to old/RFC 6852 concepts) and try to introduce the idea of
a reasonable and "clean" alternative (may be with Andrea, Michael,
Joseph, Gregory, etc. ?). I would have added Andrew but now he told
us he is here by orders (from who?). Nick was promising claiming he
wanted to open the internet to trades. But this is gone with the
wind. Your alternative should inteligently oppose but not ignore us.
This is because critics are always helpful, and because we are
gaining momentum: you know national VGNs are a very simple thing to
understand for anyone. It consists in showing the US VGN and
tell  "just ask your Government what your US competitors get from
their's". Look at China and Russia. Very good return at a time people
are more and more suspicious about TPP and TAFTA, the NTIA/CANN
pretend that their MS process is on an equal footing basis, and we
have to pay the taxes Google has evaded.

I just say, "not to ignore us", because at this stage all we want is
to get a contingency plan, not to supersed ICANN. If you help ICANN
so that at the end we can trust them: this would be OK. On our side
all we have to do to protect our most immediate interests is to
convince the NTIA that not listening to our and Willi's vision might
be a political fault. If ICANN manages the IG as they manage /1NET
and IANAtransition how do you want us to trust them!!!

When you start working on one plan, it does not cost much more to
work on two. Putting competitiion between them, so the plans becomes
better. The worst you could get is that they might cooperate. ICANN
said no. We did not.

If they keep crying "Dad, they are better than me", Dad might accept
it at the end.

Take care.
jfc