[governance] Multistakeholderism

JFC Morfin jefsey at jefsey.com
Sat May 3 22:45:05 EDT 2014

Dear Deirdre,

your concern is legitimate. The response is very simple. IG is a
political issue. Politics as per Aristotle is the art of commanding
free men. We are in the middle of a "singularity",. Raymond Kurzwell
(Google) believes that this is when machines will start replacing
people. It is more probably a big change in the human society:
politics is now the arts of commanding free digitaly networked men.

This creates new additional business and power opportunities we are
not yet used to. They challenge market shares and established
sovereignties, but open new frontiers. This is why there are two
strategies to respond this singularity: we are in the process of
switching from the first to the second one.

1. "status-quo": one tries to keep things unchanged to protect the
old equilibrium in constraining innovation. This is the strategy of
the established dominants: M$, Telcos, etc. supported by the USG
executive branch (NTIA), i.e. international relations.

2. "internationalization": one tries to "internationalize" the new
territories' legal, contractual, conventional, etc. environment. This
is another term for "e-colonization". This is the strategy of the
emerging edge providers new dominants. Google, Facebook, Netflix, etc.

The transition from status-quo to internationalization has been
supported since 1977 by the USG (FCC, NTIA). It has entered in a new
phase of its strategic evolution toward the legal branch, the US
globality switch from international to domestic affairs.

The problem is that the world is not yet fully ruled by the Congress
along a democratic process. An "international domestic virtuality"
democratic substitute had to be found. This is "multistkeholderism".
It puts e-colonized-States and Edge-Providers on a legal footing
basis. This is the TPP/TAFTA core idea: an US lawyer panel can
arbitrate between US TNC (transnational corporation) and States of
the "international domestic virtuality" when their democratic
legislations are hurting their interests. The people of the world
must pay their democacy to the US TNCs.

You bet that at this political level, no one is interested in knowing
what people (those unable to engage into a class-action) may think,
and dominants are only interested in keeping the others quite. This
is the purpose of lists such /1net: to make their participants
believe they are important, pay them to attend useless meeting round
the world, etc. so they cooperate, in order to prevent at leas two
problems from happening.

These two problems are that the Emperor is not only naked but also
not an emperor.

1. he is not an emperor. The Emperor wants to "be unilateraly
global". This is a "bug". No one can be the center of the entire
world. Only the Emperor of China believed he was.

2. he is naked because, if his law may induce code, code becoms law.
Code is the clothes. The Emperor wants to make believe he controls
the code (e.g. the root). But the network code is designed by
engineers for those who need it.

There are two resulting tactics to control code:

1. to make States believe they do not need alternative code (ICANN/GAC)
2. to delay prevent the Multitude (the not yet marketingly brain
washed people) from demanding and using such alternative code. This
is done by story telling (e.g. need of a unique root - countered by
ICANN's own ICP3 document), "internet balkanization" to describe
resistance to e-colonization, etc. Now it is filtering alternative
credible propositions (such as VGN analysis).

In this context, you bet that nobody cares about who is a
"stakeholder". There are market share holders (edge providers), state
holders (NTIA, EU, China, Russia), internet structural status holders
(RIRs), technical rights holders (IETF Trust) and net holders (ISP,
Telcos). Period, never mind about users: they only are those who pay
and buy: making them to believe they are stakeholder will only make
them to chant the beauties of MSism and help e-colonizing.

However, there is a still small  irritating  irruptive group: the
independent users (IUsers) who know how an intelligent use (IUse) of
the interneted (protocols) catenet (global network system) can keep
them independent, i.e. free from the Emperor, because they know that
he is stark naked.  The priority is to prevent them to get an
audience. Then all the old political tricks are good enough. (e.g.
"alliance.fsp4 at gmail", the MS collective mail address of the young
initiative for a "fail-secure plan for the net" is denied
subscription to the /1net and NTIAtransition lists.

After all, these people oppose ICANN. What is mean is that ICANN only
disregards the registrations (automatically?) instead of plainly
responsibly rejecting it. The Emperor fakes that he does not hear
those who tell he is naked.

jfc