[governance] Re: [bestbits] Roles and Responsibilities - CSTD working group on enhanced cooperation

Rafik Dammak rafik.dammak at gmail.com
Fri May 2 23:16:43 EDT 2014

Hi Norbert,

Thanks for the response,

Rafik, you are attacking a straw-man position, which has nothing to do
> at all with my position or values or the proposal that I included a
> link to.
>
> I was not judging you, that is not my goal.

> I am very much in favor of open multistakeholder processes with full
> involvement of all interested parties, including the private sector,
> for the development of policy proposals, including coordination of
> proposals with the goal of minimizing problems when different
> countries choose to adopt different public policy options.

good to hear that you are in support of multistaekholder process, that was
not indicated in your first message.

> In my view, the attempt should always be made to reach a full global
> multistakeholder consensus. This will not always succeed, but even if
> it doesn't succeed, much can be learned through participation in a
> well-run multistakeholder consensus process with participants of
> diverse backgrounds. Often the result of such a process will not be
> consensus but a much improved understanding of where the real problems
> are in terms of significantly conflicting interests, and what the
> benefits and drawbacks of different possible and justifiable policy
> choices are in regard to the legitimate interests of different
> stakeholder groups. These insights should then be provided to national
> parliaments so that the choice between different public policy
> possibilities, each justifiable and right from some perspective, will
> be made in a democratic manner, on the basis of the best possible
> information.

again good to see your explanation for supporting the multistakeholder
model with such level of details.  I responded to your when you were
defending the state based model and giving privileges to governments even
when you recognise the drawbacks.

In regard to your point about non-democratic states: They obviously
> have a totally broken governance system. They obviously violate the
> human rights of the people living there. But neither of those points
> should be allowed to stop the people living in parts of the world where
> the governments are to a significant degree democratic (like is the case
> for me) from being allowed to insist that we value democracy, and
> we don't want to lose it, even when the line between Internet
> governance and traditional areas of governance is becoming more and
> more blurred.

so you don't propose any alternatives for those under authoritarian regimes
and want to keep a system silencing them because it may work for you as
swiss citizen ? how can this embed the democracy values you are defending?

Rafik