[governance] Re: [bestbits] Roles and Responsibilities - CSTD working group on enhanced cooperation

Jean-Christophe Nothias jeanchristophe.nothias at gmail.com
Fri May 2 11:37:14 EDT 2014

If Netmundial experienced a positive and constructive spirit, even though final comments by CS ended with clear expression of disappointments, I am a bit surprised with your email to Norbert.

Who ever said that the private sector would have no role? The ones that are asking for a true democratic eco-ssytem (legitimacy, check and balance, openness and transparency, clear mechanisms for decision making, innovation, fair competition...) Who, except for the status quoers, and their kindergarden folks are pretending that people challenging the current MS Blah are trying to impeach the private sector from having a role. No kidding! Private sector has a role indeed. One of the central question is balance of power (to counter any abuse, either from private sector or governments). Starting your email with such an argument is not very serious. I do wonder why you go into that game.

Could we refrain from going back to gross or prehistoric dialogue?

I am calling for a discussion among CS to explore and clarify the different visions of what could be the Internet governance eco-system in, let's say, 10 years of time - Wolfgang said another Netmundial in 5 years of time could be a good idea!!. I would rather have your views on these visions - unless you, like some others you would share the presumption that this CS dialogue cannot happen without of the private sector  and other parties, being at the table, to avoid co-lateral damages out of people having a free word.

Are you feeling honest by claiming that Norbert, me and others and defending a state-based model, because we remind to the current tenants of IG, that democracy is very needed in IG. Calling for a democratic approach sounds like some sort of nightmare to many MSist. Again, Netmundial has changed the narrative: we are now exploring what means a democratic MS model.

You have the floor on this.

JC