[governance] Re: [bestbits] Roles and Responsibilities - CSTD working group on enhanced cooperation

Norbert Bollow nb at bollow.ch
Fri May 2 09:42:37 EDT 2014

TA art. 35 is very very imperfect for a variety of reasons.

It also was dangerous ten years ago in ways which are not a real danger
today.

Today it is IMO an immediate and concrete danger that carelessly
designed (and thereby non-democratic) multistakeholder public policy
processes could give big business the power to effectively undermine
the human right of the peoples to democratic self-determination.

In the relevant international human rights treaty, the ICCPR, the legal
construct through which this human right is established is via the
public policy role of states: First it is declared that the peoples
have a right to self-determination, and later in the document the
right to democratic processes is established.

I am not asserting that this state-based model is the only possible
model of democracy, but it is what we have. I certainly don't want to
forsake it before a proven alternative is available.

Until then I will support TA art. 35 with its privileging of states.
From my perspective there is no need for Parminder to retract anything.

I agree of course that there are currently very real problems almost
every time that states try to get involved in a privileged role as
states in Internet governance. And I'm not talking just about the
various examples of totally non-democratic states here.

I propose to address these problems by means of measures such as those
proposed on http://wisdomtaskforce.org/

Greetings,
Norbert