[governance] The South Korean civil society response to NETmundial

Borami Kim squ24n at gmail.com
Thu May 1 19:29:17 EDT 2014

Dear all,

In South Korea, we issued a joint NGO statement on NETmundial below.

Best regards,
Borami

english version -> http://nnforum.kr/87
korean version ->
http://www.ccej.or.kr/index.php?document_srl=405849

*The South Korean Civil Society Statement on NETmunidal*

*This is a new chapter in building participatory and democratic Internet
governance*

*We welcome the Multistakeholders' Declaration of Sao Paulo*

On 23-24, April, a global multistakeholder meeting on Internet governance ,
“NETmundial,” was held to discuss the Internet Governance Principles and
future approaches in Sao Paulo, Brazil. This meeting was considered
historic in that it enabled multistakeholder participation during the
process, enabling governments, civil societies, private sectors, technical
communities, and academia, etc., to participate in the process of
determining the final resulting content of meeting. Over 180 contributing
opinions were submitted during the opinion submission phase before the
conference, and the “draft outcome document” that was prepared by the
Executive Multistakeholder Committee based on the contributions produced
over 1370 comments prior to the actual meeting. The two-day face-to-face
meeting also provided open-microphone opprtunities for the respective
stakeholders to voice additional opinions. The final document, the
“Net-mundial Multistakeholders' Declaration of Sao Paulo” on Internet
governance was praised by many to be the result of an unprecedented process
of global multistakeholder participation, and was accepted through a rough
consensus.

*The first global declaration based on a rough consensus of
multistakeholders*

A key concept that was included in the title of the meeting was
“Multistakeholder” which means that multistakeholders, i.e., the
government, civil societies, technical communities and academias, and the
individual users can participate in the Internet public policy
decision-making process with equal status and in a democratically
participatory fashion. When we consider the fact that existing
“international declarations” have been issued exclusively either by
intergovernmental/international bodies or by global civil societies, the
Sao Paulo declaration takes on the special status of being the first global
‘multistakeholder’ declaration where relevant stakeholders were given
horizontal status during the deliberation process and were able to arrive
at a general consensus in an open and transparent manner.

However, this goal of multistakeholder consensus inevitably resulted in a
final declaration not being able to accommodate many of the important
issues that were supported by civil societies. Adoption of a clear
statement endorsing net neutrality was passed over to future discussions,
and we had to accept general statements on human rights that did not touch
on specific and importanrt human rights clauses for freedom of expression,
privacy, etc. In addition, the final document contained limited wording
against mass surveillance although the Brazillian president’s UN speech
denouncing mass surveillance by the US had been one of the main stimulants
behind the current meeting and demands that mass surveillance and
surveillance of the telecommunications network in general be banned had
been one of the important issues that had been proposed for the meeting.

Despite the above limitations, we believe that this declaration is the
result of a successful experiment, providing a cornerstone model for making
the Internet public policy decision-making processes to be more
transparent, democratic, and cooperative by allowing the participation of
various players. The shortcomings that were revealed during this meeting
should be amended and improved through future fora flexibly for discussing
Internet governance such as the IGF.

*The South Korean government recognizes the need for a system of
multistakeholder participation at the national level.*

The multistakeholder approach was identified as one of the most important
principles at the national as well as the global level during this meeting.
It was observed that Brazil was able to take on the role of being the host
of this meeting because of their domestic multistakeholder Internet policy
body, the CGI.br, and members of this organization played principal roles
in organizing and administering the details of this meeting. In addition,
the culmination of one of the achievements of CGI.br that was reached
through a bottom-up process was proudly displayed to the global community
when the Brazilian president signed the national Marco Civil during the
opening ceremony of NETmundial.

The South Korean government also publicly declared support for the
Multistakeholder model in their contributing statement prior to the meeting
as well as in the statements made by the governmental representatives
during this meeting. We praise this stance of the Korean government as
acknowledging the necessity for the existance of a multistakeholder
participatory policy body on Internet governance, in line with the
recommendations of the Sao Paulo declaration.

Thus, we would like to suggest that we begin collaborative discussions on
the  formation of a domestic multistakeholder Internet governance body
similar to CGI.br. As major representatives of the South Korean civil
society, we would like to express our support for the democratic
multistakeholder process that was proposed in NETmundial and declare our
committment to achieving this goal not only at the global level but also at
the domestic level, in cooperation with the various stakeholders.

*Thanks,  Edward Snowden*

The breaches on human rights through mass surveillance by many governments
that were exposed as a result of Edward Snowden’s revelations caused a huge
outrage among the global  Internet users. The denouncement of such
activities by global Internet users provided the impetus for this meeting
in Brazil.

We believe that Snowden has enabled the activities of ordinary Internet
users around us - those that exist peacefully on the Internet, living,
loving, working and dedicating their individual expertise - to be
recognized as major sources behind the creation of an Internet based on
protecting human rights and contributing to a global, resilient,
trustworthy, open and flexible Internet. In this regard, the civil society
of Korea would like to express our deep appreciation to the courage of
Edward Snowden for inspiring such discussions.

We hope Snowden gets back home safe.

2014. 4. 28.

경실련(CCEJ, Citizens’ Coalition for Economic Justice)

망중립성 이용자 포럼(Net Neutrality User Forum)

오픈넷 (Opennet)

진보네트워크센터(Korean Progressive Network Jinbonet)

프라이버시 워킹그룹(Privacy Working Group Korea)

함께하는시민행동 (Citizens’ Action Network)

 *Reference*

The Multistakeholders’ Decaration of Sao Paulo
http://netmundial.br/netmundial-multistakeholder-statement/

The Korean Civil Society statement submitted to NETmundial

http://content.netmundial.br/contribution/korean-civil-society-submission-for-netmundial/146

The South Government statement submitted to NETmundial

http://content.netmundial.br/contribution/the-korean-government-s-submission-for-netmundial/255

Nnenna Nwakanma speech
https://bestbits.net/nnenna-netmundial/<https://bestbits.net/nnenna-netmundial/>