AW: [governance] Quick update on WGEC meeting day 1

"Kleinwächter, Wolfgang" wolfgang.kleinwaechter at medienkomm.uni-halle.de
Thu May 1 04:51:32 EDT 2014

Thanks Avri,

I participated remotely and it was indeed a clear demonstration of the unwillingness by some governments to move towards rough consensus. It is not a big surprise that those governments more or less ignore the new quality Netmundial has reached. They hate the New Mundial model because they feel this will undermine their role. Staying there in the queue and waiting until a civil society person as made some critical remarks is not the role an ambassador in Geneva wants to play. They accept the involvement of non-governmental stakeholders in Internet Governance only as long as they have the leadership (this is their "respective role"). Sharing of decision making, as proposed by the WGIG working definition from 2005, is not their approach.

This respective role language goes back to the 2003 Geneva WSIS Declaration of Principles. Already the Tunis Agenda in 2005 went one step beyond this classical division of labour (but repeated also the Geneva language). And now we have 2014 and language from Sao Paulo. What counts?

My impression is that - in combination with the IANA transition - we will move towards a long lasting battle about what is the right multistakeholder model. We have to be very careful not to loose the momentum from Sao Paulo. The efforts by the Group of 77 in New York to get a 3rd WSIS Summit in 2015 is a clear signal that a large number of governments believe that the UN/WSIS multistakeholder model with governments in the final decision making role is the better place. And WSIS 10+ is more or less in the hands of governments (UNGIS). Insofar the WSIS 10+ High Level Event (June 10 - 13 2014) in Geneva will be important and Civil Society should remember its CS WSIS structures and procedures to bring as much as possible "NetMundialism" into this meeting. Unfortunately it is parallel to EURODIG in Berlin, so a lot of Europeans will miss WSIS 10+.

What about starting to think about a Net Mundial II in 2019? This would help to keep some of the working mechanism of Net Mundial Sao Paulo alive and give a perspective (and an alterantive to WSIS 10+ and beyond). Net Mundial could become something like the olympics which takes place in a four or five year cycle with the annual world championship (IGF) in between.

Wolfgang