[governance] DNS [Property or Public Good]

Karl Auerbach karl at cavebear.com
Fri Mar 28 21:26:43 EDT 2014

On 03/28/2014 06:17 PM, Salanieta T. Tamanikaiwaimaro wrote:

>  1. Is the DNS property or public good?

The word "property" is very heavily overloaded by cultural and legal
context.

I find it much better to avoid that word altogether and rather to
consider the collection of rights and obligations that person X has to
thing Y.

For example, with regard to domain names X could be the registrant and
X's rights include the right to delegate name servers, to sub-delegate,
etc.  While the obligations might include paying fees, providing contact
information, etc etc.

Same for registrars - they have certain rights and obligations with
regard to that same domain name (from the prior paragraph above) such
acting as the intermediary to a registry, etc etc.

Some people may consider those contractual things.  But to me that is
merely a difference in words without real difference in substance.

I suggest, therefore, that in discussing these sorts of things that we
can avoid a lot of miscommmunication by avoiding the difficult word
"property".

	--karl--