[governance] Fwd: Geneva IG Briefing Webinar 1 April

Deirdre Williams williams.deirdre at gmail.com
Fri Mar 28 14:11:03 EDT 2014

Another webinar from Diplo which may be of interest.
Deirdre

 The *Geneva Briefing on Internet Governance* takes place on the first
Tuesday of every month. If you would like to get a regular 'zoomed-out'
update of the major global IG and digital politics developments, join us
online for the webinar briefing from Geneva within the Geneva Internet
Platform <http://www.diplomacy.edu/capacity/GIP>(GIP) project on Tuesday, 1
April 2014 at 13.00 CET.

*You receive hundreds of pieces of information on digital politics.We
receive them, too.We decode, contextualise, and analyse them.Then we
summarise them for you.*

Join us once a month for a round-up of the main IG-related
events<http://www.diplointernetgovernance.org/events> and
developments. Every month, we look back at what happened and look ahead to
what's to come.

Our previous webinar<http://www.diplomacy.edu/blog/webinar-digest-geneva-briefing-internet-governance-march-2014>
provided
an overview of February's developments and an insight into expectations for
March.

The next webinar will take place on *Tuesday, 1st April 2014, at 13.00 CET*.

*Please register here
<http://www.diplomacy.edu/registrations/webinar-geneva-briefing-internet-governance-april-2014>*
.

We will reflect on March's IG developments:

   - The USA possibly relinquishing the control of the Internet. What does
   the NTIA Announcement<http://www.ntia.doc.gov/press-release/2014/ntia-announces-intent-transition-key-internet-domain-name-functions>
of
   the Intent to Transition Key Internet Domain Name Functions mean?
   - India's call<http://articles.economictimes.indiatimes.com/2014-03-06/news/47971199_1_internet-governance-forum-india-global-agency>
for
   the establishment of a global agency to manage the Internet.
   - ICANN's Panel on Global Internet Cooperation & Governance
Mechanisms submitted
   a contribution to
NETmundial<http://www.icann.org/en/news/announcements/announcement-2-11mar14-en.htm>,
   following its meeting in the USA.
   - The success of Brazil's Marco
Civil<http://mobile.reuters.com/article/idUSL1N0MN00H20140326?irpc=932>
-
   Internet Civil Rights Law regarding Internet access and rights.
   - Updates from ICANN's regular meeting in Singapore, 23-27
March<http://singapore49.icann.org/en/>
   .
   - Other relevant emerging threads, such as BitCoin dilemmas around the
   world.
   - News from the GIP: Panel on cyber surveillance 'Yes We
Scan'<http://www.diplomacy.edu/blog/%E2%80%98yes-we-scan%E2%80%99-internet-politics-placebos-antibiotics-and-homeopathy>
at
   the Geneva International Film Festival and Forum on Human Rights, and the
   online course in IG for diplomats.

We will look ahead to April:

   - NETmundial <http://netmundial.br/> meeting in São Paolo, 23-24 April.
   - /1net <http://1net.org/> developments towards NETmundial.
   - ITU WTDC-14<http://www.itu.int/en/ITU-D/Conferences/WTDC/WTDC14/Pages/default.aspx>
in
   Dubai from 30 March to 10 April 2014.
   - The GIP: formal launch of the Platform on 8 April in Geneva, including
   an exhibition -*Internet Landscape *- that maps key Geneva and global IG
   institutions, and a presentation of the draft negotiation proposal for
   NETmundial based on the data-mining analysis of all the contributions
   received.

The webinar will be hosted by Vladimir
Radunovic<http://www.diplomacy.edu/courses/faculty/radunovic>
. Dr Jovan Kurbalija <http://www.diplomacy.edu/courses/faculty/kurbalija>
 and Marilia Maciel <http://www.diplomacy.edu/courses/faculty/maciel> will
join as guest speakers.

To stay informed about the Geneva Briefings on IG, subscribe to our Webinars
mailing list <http://www.diplomacy.edu/registrations/webinars-list>

--
"The fundamental cure for poverty is not money but knowledge" Sir William
Arthur Lewis, Nobel Prize Economics, 1979