[governance] DOT EDU EXTENSION

CW Mail mail at christopherwilkinson.eu
Sat Mar 22 10:42:52 EDT 2014

Good afternoon:

Well, a possible solution to this issue, might be to ask Educause to move .EDU to .EDU.US (where it belongs).

That might liberate .EDU as a new 'community' gTLD. Evidently with strict registration requirements.
However, since most of the potential registrants have already got their domains in <*.ac.ccTLD>  or equivalent, I rather doubt that a <.EDU> gTLD would be economically viable.
In any event, the evidence is that the promotors of new gTLDs are not very interested in restrictive registration requirements, the paraphernalia of Public Interest Committees and Policy Advisory Boards notwithstanding.

Meanwhile, for the purposes of this 'IGC' List, may I say that there are a number of far more important issues relating to the globalisation of ICANN and IANA.
So, apart from responding to Kwasi's original question, which has been done, most of this discussion has been a red-herring.

Apologies in advance, to those concerned

CW