[governance] DOT EDU EXTENSION

McTim dogwallah at gmail.com
Sat Mar 22 10:09:56 EDT 2014

On Sat, Mar 22, 2014 at 8:32 AM, Guru गुरु <Guru at itforchange.net> wrote:

> On 03/22/2014 04:17 PM, Katim S. Touray wrote:
>
>> Dear all,
>>
>> I hope we have not lost sight of the question that started all of this
>> debate: how can Kwasi register a .edu domain name? Now that the road has
>> been pointed out to him/her, and it leads to Educause, I think it would be
>> great if s(he) contacts them to find out what the rules are. S(he) can also
>> try contacting those non-US institutions that have .edu domain names and
>> ask them how they did it. Finally, it would be great to get feedback on the
>> fruits of his/her efforts.
>>

> the question is - the Internet is a global resource... even if
> historically US had an important role in its creation.
> this means .edu cannot be

Well actually it CAN be,  perhaps it should not be, but that is a different
issue from the existence of open, restricted TLDs.  Are you saying that
there cannot be ANY open, restricted TLDs such as .edu?

> reserved only for US entities. and this would be one of several several
> steps to be taken to make the governance of  the Internet more democratic
> (or perhaps I should just say, 'make the governance democratic').

I would be happy to support this, but there are lots of ccTLD folks who
probably wouldn't be pleased with it however.  YMMV.

--
Cheers,

McTim