[governance] DOT EDU EXTENSION

Salanieta T. Tamanikaiwaimaro salanieta.tamanikaiwaimaro at gmail.com
Thu Mar 20 19:26:49 EDT 2014

Hi Kwasi,

As you would have seen from the flurry of emails following your post, .edu
is reserved for American accredited educational institutions. All other
countries, usually have something like:-

InsertName.edu.au or InsertName.edu.ccTLD

For end users, the shorter the domain the easier it is to remember, hence
preference for .edu
However, there are also merits in having a .edu.ccTLD or .edu.africa for
instance as it helps users distinguish location.

Just as .gov is reserved for the US and its territories whilst other
countries have .gov.fj or .gov.ccTLD. Noting that some countries use
.gouv.ccTLD

Some of these things developed because of precedent and as a consequence of
innovation in the TLD space starting in the US etc.

Best Regards,
Sala