[discuss] [governance] NTIA statement

Diego Rafael Canabarro diegocanabarro at gmail.com
Mon Mar 17 15:05:43 EDT 2014

Dear David,

I wanted to refer to .IQ instead of .PS. Thank you for your e-mail, which
showed me I was wrong.

.IQ: Mayer-Schoenberger, Viktor and Ziewitz, Malte, Jefferson Rebuffed -
The United States and the Future of Internet Governance (May 2006). KSG
Working Paper No. RWP06-018. Available at SSRN:
http://ssrn.com/abstract=902374 or http://dx.doi.org/10.2139/ssrn.902374

.PS: a case in which IANA respected the governance process of ccTLD:
http://archive.icann.org/en/general/ps-report-22mar00.htm

And as for Sudan:
http://www.internetgovernance.org/2012/12/13/what-really-happened-in-dubai/.
The IGP shows how registrars accredited to ICANN can violate the RAA and
discriminate in virtue of jurisdictional orders (i.e.: GoDaddy).

Regards
Diego

On Mon, Mar 17, 2014 at 3:38 PM, Pranesh Prakash <pranesh at cis-india.org>wrote:

> Shatan, Gregory S. <GShatan at ReedSmith.com> [2014-03-16 19:22:42]:
>
>  The Snowden leaks provided a convenient soapbox for the EU and others to
>> climb on and demand this transition.
>>

> The Snowden leaks gave not just the EC, but the US government too (and not
> to forget the I*s) a convenient excuse for this transition.
>

>  Perhaps the EU member states should throw open their surveillance
>> activities for public scrutiny, so that we could compare and contrast the
>> levels and types of mass surveillance actually going on.  Then we could
>> make more reasoned judgments about "issues of trust."
>> Since the EU isn't really a "government," and presumably does not itself
>> take on significant surveillance activities, it has "plausible deniability"
>> when it comes to such things.  This allows the EU to "throw the first
>> stone," while not really being "without sin."
>>

> Do you honestly believe that?
>
> See PE 493.032 - http://goo.gl/quSyBp and PE 474.405 -
> http://goo.gl/6Rj9eb for examples of the EU studies into this.  PE
> 493.032 contains a wealth of information about surveillance in EU countries.
>

> --
> Pranesh Prakash
> Policy Director, Centre for Internet and Society
> T: +91 80 40926283 | W: http://cis-india.org
> -------------------
> Access to Knowledge Fellow, Information Society Project, Yale Law School
> M: +1 520 314 7147 | W: http://yaleisp.org
> PGP ID: 0x1D5C5F07 | Twitter: https://twitter.com/pranesh_prakash

>      http://www.igcaucus.org/

*Diego R. Canabarro*
http://lattes.cnpq.br/4980585945314597
diego.canabarro [at] *ufrgs.br <http://ufrgs.br>*
diegocanabarro [at] *gmail.com <http://gmail.com>*
Cell # +55-51-8108-1098
Skype: diegocanabarro

*GT Governança Digital*

*Centro de Estudos Internacionais sobre Governo (CEGOV)*

Campus do Vale, prédio 43322 - Av. Bento Gonçalves, 9500
Porto Alegre / RS CEP 91509-900
Fone: +55 51 3308.9860 / 3308.9934 / Site: *www.cegov.ufrgs.br
<http://www.cegov.ufrgs.br/>*