[governance] Re: [bestbits] IGC press release in response to the NTIA announcement of March 14

Anriette Esterhuysen anriette at apc.org
Mon Mar 17 10:12:36 EDT 2014

Good points Mawaki.  And good statement too.  I do think that in this
paragraph you capture what many, if not most of us, understand by
inclusive policy making/multi-stakeholder participation in policy making.

I agree with your definition hereL

> For me 'multistakeholderism" is just a fashionable way to call a form
> of inclusive policymaking process. I see stakeholders as part of the
> people. I don't think people need or should need some validation from
> political parties before they can directly participate in
> policymaking. This may even happen with traditional policymaking
> issues (the ones that can be easily confined to a national polity) if
> the elected officials are enlightened enough to constantly consult
> with the people and the affected groups in their decision making
> processes. But sticking to political parties or formal processes as
> the sole source of legitimate voice for policymaking becomes even more
> problematic on issues where we depend so much on each other across the
> world. So for me, while the concept and its implementation may not be
> mature, stable and robust enough to stand all relevant tests,
> "multistakeholderism" is just an attempt to get people (at least those
> who are aware among those affected by the policies) to participate in
> the policymaking in some orderly fashion (i.e. the organizing in
> stakeholders.)
>
> Now, I'm not naive. I know this is far from being perfect and the
> process can be captured and become an instrument for special interests
> with no much regard for public interest. That's where our focus should
> be, trying to make sure special interests do not use the mantle of
> stakeholders to drown out the voice and interests of the people.
> Granted, that's a tall order. But saying that political parties,
> elections, or other formal processes are the only way for legitimate
> representation, the only way to have a voice in the policymaking
> process is where we will have hard time finding an agreement. Maybe we
> shouldn't have called that "multistakeholder", maybe the boundaries of
> stakeholders are ill-conceived and they should be something else, and
> clearly the checks and balances for "multistakeholderism" leave much
> to be desired as of now and we still have a lot of work to do, but
> governments and political parties cannot be the only answer, can they?

Agree. And the challenge to prevent special interests from manipulating
policy processes remains. It is huge in traditional
'government/legislature' lead policy processes and it is also huge in
newer and experimental multi-stakeholder processes.

The advantage of more the evolving more transparent multi-stakeholder
processes is that it is harder for special interest groups to get what
they want, because they have to be more public about it.

Anriette

anriette esterhuysen anriette at apc.org
executive director, association for progressive communications
www.apc.org
po box 29755, melville 2109
south africa
tel/fax +27 11 726 1692