[bestbits] Re: [governance] IGC press release in response to the NTIA announcement of March 14

Mawaki Chango kichango at gmail.com
Sun Mar 16 17:53:28 EDT 2014

 Dear Sivasubramanian,

Then my response still remains. Suffices to say there is an ideal of
democracy and there are democracies (actual instantiations of the former)
that do not live up to the ideal -- and I mentioned the most recent case of
Egypt but there are plenty of others. And if that can happen to something
called democracy and formally designed as such, you bet that can happen to
a multistakeholder governance structure. After all, what does
"multi-stake-holder" mean per se to make you think it will necessarily and
always function as a better democracy? Is there anything in the word that
suggests so? No. Can stakeholders turn out to form a smoke screen diverting
from the interests of the larger public or the people? You bet they can.

Mawaki

p.s. I'd agree with McTim to un-cc BB from now on, maybe...