[governance] Re: [bestbits] IGC press release in response to the NTIA announcement of March 14

Mawaki Chango kichango at gmail.com
Sun Mar 16 16:51:28 EDT 2014

 Parminder,

Thanks for the opportunity to clarify.

On Sun, Mar 16, 2014 at 10:28 AM, parminder <parminder at itforchange.net>wrote:

> Mawaki
>
> Thanks for this effort.
>
> As often and variously discussed on this list, terms like 'equitable
> multistakholder policy development model' are very problematic unless we
> have some basic definition of what is meant here, and  it clearly excludes
> decision making on public policy issues...

I am not sure why you think decision making on public policy issues should
be excluded from mutistakeholder model or mechanisms, whatever their formal
or theoretical definition (but based on our common understanding or the
meaning we commonly ascribed to that term when we use it in this Ig
context.) Do you mean that policymaking is the exclusive role of the
government or intergovernmental bodies? If so, do you think this may have
been so in some period in the history of human societies but that may
evolve? And if so, would you accept the idea that such evolution may not
necessarily be clean cut but from start but fuzzy and laborious and
experimental at the beginning, and that it may be experimented in just one
or a few sectors before extending to other domains of governance?

I may agree that at this point in history, governments ratify public
policies, they have the final say, the ultimate authority to really enforce
them to the extent that those policies are really public. But why public
policies cannot be developed by all stakeholders (if that's your position)?
And developing policies isn't that part of policymaking?

If you do mean to suggest that policymaking is the exclusive role of the
government or intergovernmental bodies in this area of Ig, I'm afraid to
say that from my understanding of past discussions on this list, that is
unlikely to represent a consensus view. Then shall we go back there again?

> This particular language should therefore be struck out.
>
> Also, our communication , immediately after welcoming the decision and
> complimenting US gov for it, should upfront say that we are eager to know
> more details - especially about (1) whether it means that ICANN would no
> longer be under any contractual obligations with the US gov, and be in
> independent control of the root zone server, and (2) what happens to the
> issue of jurisdiction of incorporation of ICANN and it being subject to US
> laws and such and (3) whether any conditions would be imposed in 'freeing
> ICANN' and if so, of what nature....

Well, it is my understanding that USG has not by this decision opened
negotiations with IGC and other Internet stakeholders. They were in a
position and just announced they are willing to relinquish. As could be
expected they want to have a say in or an eye on what will follow (no
transition to intergovernmental arrangement plus the fours principles as
guidelines.) For the rest they say ICANN has to develop a transition
proposal which should include the details of what will follow. So I think
apart from the 4 principles and the one litmus test they spelled out in the
announcement, all your questions above can only be answered in the
transition proposal to be developed with our participation and that of all
other stakeholders.

Mawaki