[bestbits] Re: [governance] Alternatives?

Jean-Christophe Nothias jeanchristophe.nothias at gmail.com
Thu Mar 6 16:29:59 EST 2014

McTim,

"MSism has delivered the current Internet." Wasn't it Godot himself? What has really produce MSism, in fact? This is a very good question.

"MSism has delivered the current Internet."This is no way a fact. Merely an opinion.

Scientists, techies, business people did their best with different interests at stake. A gentle and productive chaos. Bigger and more powerful everyday until salesman and cops had establish their own game (after 1998, I would say).

I thought, reading WK, that it was Kodi Annan who invented the labeling MSism back in 2004 (see WK's editorial  in MIND 2011, document edited with the support of Google).
Others, more realistic think that MSism's father was Freeman (read his Strategic Management : A stakeholder approach by R. Edward Freeman, 1984, Boston, Pitman.
Pr. Schwab has claimed repeatedly that he was among the very first to introduce MSism through his forum.
Which MSism is yours? Do you a document presenting it? That is basically the question from Michael, in particular when MSism is to be granted the status of model of governance. Lots of troubling questions.

If the MSism that we see today was already in action at the very beginning of the Internet, I feel that we would have nothing in our hands to day. I am part of the people who believe that MSism is greatly responsible for having made no advance to rebalance the asymmetric role of the current tenants of Internet. By paying people with words, uneven participation, absence of legitimacy, self appointment, flaw concept (equal footing, mon oeil!) and refusing to be part of a more resilient governance - even though it would challenge the powerful Internet Barons- they have failed the users and the citizens.

We are many to be interested by some good answers about MSism and its outcome.

Was IGF run according to some MSism model? Why is it then, that IGF  produced very little or no concrete results or progress regarding Internet governance? (what is it that was produced?)  Why is it that it is not in good shape today, until some people will decide to put some big money in it, if they believe that IGF can be of use for them. IGF+  would cover ICANN+ back, and make sure that the "soft power of MSism" and its priesthood will march on and prevail.

Thanks

JC

Nota Bene: I like your understatement about the "highly questionable actors". This type of writing is the clear expression of a no respect attitude for people in disagreement with the mainstream MSism. Forging a consensus requires much more than this type of understatement. With all due respect.