[governance] Finding IGC voice... again, on NETMundial and beyond.

Mawaki Chango kichango at gmail.com
Mon Mar 3 16:47:47 EST 2014

 I do think it's worth having a bullet on the IANA issue --internalization/
internationalization/ globalization-- as part of an IGC submission.

On Mon, Mar 3, 2014 at 2:33 PM, Milton L Mueller <mueller at syr.edu> wrote:

> There are two proposals on the table: Ian's, which would strengthen ICANN
> by simply giving it control of IANA, and the IGP proposal, which takes IANA
> out of ICANN and makes it an independent entity controlled by all the
> world's TLD registries and root server operators.
>
> At the very least, a statement from IGC could reference both proposals as
> something worth considering.

This sounds to me like a good compromise under the current time constraints.

> Preferably, however, we should have a substantive discussion about the
> merits of either approach.

Do you mean by the March 8th deadline? Otherwise we may certainly have this
discussion not only for a possible oral contribution during Sao Paulo
proceedings but also for potential input in further processes beyond Sao
Paulo (I'm sure the NETMundial will net be the end of all this search for
the future of Ig.)

Mawaki