[governance] Just Net Coalition

Norbert Bollow nb at bollow.ch
Mon Jun 30 15:23:01 EDT 2014

David Sullivan <dsullivan at globalnetworkinitiative.org> wrote:

> What I could not find on the website, and is lacking from this text,
> is a description of how statements are drafted/edited/approved.

Good point. I'll make sure that we put together and add some
official information on this.

Informally: What we've been doing so far is that those participants on
JNC's “members” mailing list who expressed interest to participate in
the drafting of any particular statement have done so, and we have
always been able to reach agreement in those informal drafting groups.
(This process has not always been easy, due to the breadth of the
variety of perspectives which are represented. However the statements
have always been getting better through this process -- which is a
refreshing contrast to groups within which there are significant
disagreements on fundamental goals, and where it is therefore likely
for any consensus texts to be bland. The fundamental points of
agreement around which the Just Net Coalition is defining itself are
summarized in what we call the Delhi Declaration
http://justnetcoalition.org/delhi-declaration .)

The resulting text is then posted to JNC's “members” mailing list as a
whole, which has sometimes led to further changes. When it seems that
there are no more requests to change the draft statement, one of the
co-convenors issues a “formal consensus call” for approval of the draft
statement. These consensus calls run 48 hours, and if during that time
no-one raises an objection, the statement is deemed approved.

Greetings,
Norbert
co-convenor, Just Net Coalition