[governance] Inquiry for a new vision into the future of IGC

Jeremy Malcolm Jeremy at Malcolm.id.au
Sun Jun 29 21:30:34 EDT 2014

On Jun 29, 2014, at 1:09 AM, Mawaki Chango <kichango at gmail.com> wrote:

> In your opinion (and in light of what you stated below), what should or could be the role of IGC going forward, or do you see it rather dismantled?

IGC is the big tent for Internet governance geeks of all persuasions, ranging from McTim, Suresh and Avri in one corner to Parminder, Michael and Norbert in the other corner, who will never agree on much, which makes your job a difficult one (speaking from experience :-).

> And why do you think some CS players would "NEVER" join the IGC even if there interested in the Internet governance policy? What would need to change for them to join?

They won't join because it is not their core interest, they are mainly interested in mainstream human rights issues, or domestic ICT policy or whatever it may be, and don't have the time to join a list of Internet governance geeks.  Or it may be because they don't like open lists, especially not lists where flame wars erupt from time to time.  Although we love open lists, other civil society groups work much differently than us.

So I don't think trying to shoe-horn other groups is the solution, I think having a small council with representatives of all of them is a better option.

--
Jeremy Malcolm PhD LLB (Hons) B Com
Internet lawyer, ICT policy advocate, geek