[governance] Inquiry for a new vision into the future of IGC

Mawaki Chango kichango at gmail.com
Sun Jun 29 12:40:11 EDT 2014

Thank you Mehrzad, Baudouin, Deirdre and all.

First of all, anything I have said or asked for in this thread was not
about "the civil society" but about a particular entity called the Internet
Governance Caucus which we are part of -- its mission and structure in the
future.

I am happy to be disagreed with especially by someone who can aptly help
translate ideas from one particular "language" to another I and most people
can comprehend, and more particularly into items that address the question
asked.

JFC, my understanding of your notion of achitectonic is that it is the
fundamental part of all architectures (like in the French notion of
"science fondamentale" vs "science appliquee") and thus architectonic
provides the basis for all things architecture. It is in this generic sense
that I used the terms architecture or architects, encompassing
architectonic and all particular architectures.

What I meant to say about this not being about any particular substantive
issue is that we're first concerned about method: a method to get IGC to a
place where it can productively discuss about specific questions/
substantive issues and make contributions.

Thank you for the opinion you have offered. My broader take is that you can
still make it easier for me and the IGC to put it to good use. Many of us
here are not professionally retired yet, still have a full- and over-time
day job far from the email exchanges and discussions we're having here, a
family to juggle with, errands to run, shopping to do, etc. etc. So I would
really appreciate if posting authors make a sincere and stubborn effort to
translate their ideas into a message any one who can read would understand
(not just the words individually but the actual notions behind them and the
message overall.)

And please let us remember that this is not the technical community
engaging in civic action but more of a group of ordinary citizens and end
users who are concerned about policy and social implications of IG
processes and decisions. Let's speak to this audience and spare each other
self-coined acronyms and neologisms as well as heavily technical acronyms
with no further explanation than a reference to whole wiki articles before
one can make sense of what is being said. I've been to the French school
and I've been to the American school; I know the difference between both
and more importantly I know it is possible to transition from one to the
other. This is a global and very diverse audience, including people for
whom English is a second, third or even fourth language in terms of
mastery. (So in these public communications, let us not apply any version
of Umberto Eco's precept, who said he writes his first 100 pages to select
his readers: readers who can get through those first hundred are the ones
who deserve to embark with him on the journey of his novels... although I
personally enjoy reading him.)

>From your first message in this thread, JFC, I got the notion (among
others, although I may still be wrong on this one) that according to you
we'd rather operate by members teaming up around subject clusters (rather
than geographic subdivisions, as Baudouin's reading). But I still wonder
how do we do it so as to get the buy-in of the IGC body and its endorsement
of the outputs. I also got those high-flying ideas (and God knows I can be
very theoretical myself!) re-interpreted for us by Deirdre. But my
frustration remains -- Now what? Is IGC just a place to discuss ideas,
concepts and theories/visions about Internet & society? Wasn't it you JFC
who were making distinction between "reality" (which we have to deal with
as is) and "blablabla"? Well our "reality" in this discussion, our datum in
the sense of the given "reality" we have to work on here is this:

_Working and operating procedures we can put in place in order to get IGC
to become again a credible CS umbrella entity in IG it once was and to be
able to work collaboratively and effectively again in order to produce
acceptable and accepted outputs for policy decisions on IG._

I am not just asking for a vision or a concept note, but more importantly
specific propositions of action items or changes (reform) that will need to
be made to IGC structure and modus operandi. At any rate, I would ask
anyone keen to formulate a vision (which is a good and I understand may be
necessary) to go further and formulate (in plain language) also the action
items that we should derive from that vision and make it effective.

I wouldn't have started this thread had I not noticed or acknowledged that
the reality we're facing is itself evolving and that IGC has some challenge
living up to its charter or mission. Make sense?

I do not wish to regulate any path (as you're presuming) as much as I wish
to know whether once we identify issues, emergent or otherwise, we believe
we can work together and develop those common positions spoken about in our
charter - and how to do this most effectively. I accept any help for us to
understand the reality we have to work with - such as yours,- but I wish
for more: how meaningfully can we relate that to IGC's objectives and
translate that into actionable items for this Caucus, keeping in mind what
brought us here in the first place. How can we operationalize the whole
vision taking into account the present "reality" of this Caucus.

In your own words, "The work a very few of us engaged (fsp4net boot strap)
is rebuked because we do not have the same language." Hence the need to
craft a workable language for the many. We do not help our party nor do we
advance our cause when we stick to a self-gratifying language language
which some may understand but that many (and even among the former not all
will have the patience to read the message to the end.)

You say: "Your position consists in censoring the Internet governance
issues you do not think the others are able to discuss. This is embarassing
when they are fundamental. This makes the entire Caucus useless." Assuming
you're addressing me (otherwise that would be the authors of the IGC
mission statement, i.e. ultimately the whole IGC which voted for the
charter), No that's not my position; mine is that whatever the issues, one
should make every effort to put it within reach of CS for understanding and
consideration. I don't believe there are issues that are or should be of
concern for CS/end users/"civil users" as you put it somewhere and yet
those issues can only be made understandable to the very few. And if you
think as you say that we need first to comprehend the reality we're facing
before we can do anything about it (which perfectly makes sense) then you
need to be a pedagogue. I'm sure you can help us comprehend that reality,
I'm just not sure you're using the right language/pedagogy yet.

Anyway, after reading and writing all these emails, I would still want to
read Antoinette Rouvroy (thanks for the pointer) and other recent authors
whose writings can help us conceptualize on the broader scale of the human
journey the conditions of our digital time, or to revisit Rousseau, Kant,
Condorcet and the like in search of a new Enlightenment for this digital era --
a kind of reading that demands and deserves much more attention and effort.

Thanks,

Mawaki

Mawaki Chango, PhD
Founder and Owner