[governance] Inquiry for a new vision into the future of IGC

Deirdre Williams williams.deirdre at gmail.com
Fri Jun 27 11:37:05 EDT 2014

Dear JFC,
In an earlier message Mawaki made the point that there is no particular
reason for the co-coordinators to share the same perspective. I agree with
him. The difficulties of electing co-ordinators if that was a requirement
would be huge. I write this because I'm about to disagree with him :-)

Your message seems to me to be offering us an analogy - the basic technical
structure of the Internet as a model of what could be a "spiritual"
structure for "end user governance". It reminds us that in the final
analysis we are all "end users", all "civil society".  I got a bit lost
towards the end because I'm not a technical person and don't think easily
in technical terms. However I think I got the general drift - I hope I did
because I think it's a wonderful idea.

Trying to give context to a proposal elsewhere I used the sentence "Because
it opens and facilitates possibilities for participation, the “way of the
internet” is to allow us to be different together." I think your model
would allow this.

Societies, or as Garth Graham would prefer communities, form around trust.
Members surrender a small part of their individuality - not their freedom,
their individuality - for the benefits of belonging to the group. The
surrender is what creates tolerance - it allows for "your way is right for
you and my way is right for me and we can still be friends."

It's a shame that tolerance and trust once lost are so difficult to find
again. However at the level of individuals, one person at a time, although
slow, it's possible.

Thank you for your suggestion
Best wishes
Deirdre

On 26 June 2014 17:34, Mawaki Chango <kichango at gmail.com> wrote:

> Dear JFC,
>
> Thank you for your elaboration, which I have read from first to last word
> -- I am probably one of a few who take the trouble to read your messages
> integrally. No offense but I am sorry to say this: I understand Foucault
> (whom I can read and understand in original version without opening a
> dictionary), including his translations in English, better than I
> understand you.
>
> The IGC membership/audience is not one of network architects. This thread
> was not meant to discuss any particular substantive issue, nor was it
> intended to propose an alternate architecture to the Internet as we know it
> or to the IG ecosystem for that matter. That might come some other time.
> But for now, we only seek to figure out how to give a new breath to this
> Caucus and enable it to work again collaboratively and productively in
> order to remain relevant through its contributions when it comes to public
> policy, societal and social implications of Internet governance. For
> everyone's information, please see below an excerpt of the IGC Charter
> regarding its mission and objectives.
>
> I would humbly advise you start from the TERMS of OUR question/problem and
> try to guide us, using those terms and others as simple as those terms, to
> the "promise land"  -- would be best if it is one that addresses our
> concern -- even if such place may otherwise also be characterized through
> your preferred architectonic lexicon. But starting from your universe and
> its language really makes it quite impossible for most people to follow and
> make something useful for them out of your contributions.
>
> I hope this group will still benefit from your ideas in words that the
> least engaged of us can still process.
> Thank you for your understanding and cooperation.
>
> Best regards,
>
> Mawaki
>

> *Mission*
>
> The mission of the Internet Governance Caucus (IGC) is to provide a forum
> for discussion, advocacy, action, and for representation of civil society
> contributions in Internet governance processes. The caucus intends to
> provide an open and effective forum for civil society to share opinion,
> policy options and expertise on Internet governance issues, and to provide
> a mechanism for coordination of advocacy to enhance the utilization and
> influence of Civil Society (CS) and the IGC in relevant policy processes.
>
> *Objectives and Tasks*
>
> The objectives and tasks of the IGC are to:
>
> * Inform civil society and other progressive groups/actors on significant
> developments impacting on Internet governance policies.
> * Provide a context for open on line and, wherever and whenever possible,
> face-to-face debate on the range of issues related to Internet governance
> policies from a civil society perspective.
> * Develop an on-going and outcome oriented structure. Create informal
> [...]

“The fundamental cure for poverty is not money but knowledge" Sir William
Arthur Lewis, Nobel Prize Economics, 1979