[governance] Inquiry for a new vision into the future of IGC

Mehrzad Azghandi mehrzad.azghandi at gmail.com
Fri Jun 27 11:27:51 EDT 2014

Dear All,

As a new member of IGC, I wanted to express my honor to be a part of this
community and I hope to learn too much from all of you.

Regarding the discussion topic of IGC's future, I am glad to use this
opportunity to share my opinion with a group of intelligent persons at this
critical point of Internet Society.
 In my opinion, IGC as well as many other IG communities is experiencing a
critical point which is a reflection of critical situation of Information
society on its current process of development and widely expansion. The
situation which can be a sort of middle age crisis for internet society as
I am going to explain it here.
   The Middle-Age Crisis is going to be happened after 3 decades of growth
of Internet and its rapid penetrating by various features of cybernetic
world in every corner of human life. The great success of technology and
human intelligence has created an extensive expectation to finally overcome
our historical problems of poverty, unemployment and unbelievable misery in
many parts of the world. The great hope for a better future for humankind
in a global village as we have talked and heard about during the past
decades.
   So the development comes to the screen of any global pro-motive programs
( as like as Istanbul event) for creating a new world, in spite of
uncertain conditions regarding the human rights and a lot of civil society
concerns as like as lazy logistic procedures , privacy issues, digital
fraud and  so on. It shold be warned, that if this uncontrollable expansion
and development procedure exceeds the actual capacity of society, it
suddenly turns to a danger for mankind and the earth.
At this middle-age, Internet expansive procedure has the potential to
destroy our dreams as well as the potential to survive the earth and its
inhabitants.  This is exactly where the necessity of Internet Governance
discussions comes to be crucial nowadays.
  I shorten the story since all you guys know it better than me and I will
go to the point that any further action in IG discussions and plans should
respect two essentially programs:

1- *Social capacity building* regarding IG concerns through public medias
for public people, who are the basis of  the information society. People
who should be able to represent themselves through proper channels which is
prepared by intelligent people like you, in IGC.
People need to be educated through any extensive program in various level
of literacy and knowledge regarding their vulnerability facing with a
unilateral development in cybernetic world. People needs to be educated and
know how to participate in procedure of governance and how to share their
concerns. I believe, it would be great, if IGC opens a chapter for
educating people in this area.
 Increasing the number of civil society activists is the golden key in
bottom-up dealing with Governments, edge companies and market developers
,etc.

*2- Customer Protection in Best Practices procedure*,

    I agree with Mawaki that civil society and IGC is not going to change
the network architecture; and also redefinition of networks in the way that
JFC is looking for, is not only impossible, but dangerous for daily life of
people.

 But still civil society should find the best solutions in dealing with big
brothers. Customer Protection based on the Human rights, respecting to
lingual, cultural, professional, regional and national features of
end-users should be respected by all of edge companies, Governments and
market developers, etc.

 Any individual have right to, and should be able to dominate his/her
environment encountering with cyber world according to his personal
perspective; and any giant service makers in this space should understand
that respecting these individual expectations will increase their market
capacity and development goals and so on. This is a sample of best practice
in field of customer protection,  which I suggest to be followed in future.

Regards
Mehrzad

On Thu, Jun 26, 2014 at 4:31 PM, Mawaki Chango <kichango at gmail.com> wrote:

> Dear Members,
>
> This is an informal inquiry I would like to launch to hear from IGC
> members or list subscribers and collect your ideas about where we should go
> from here, as the Internet Governance Caucus.
>
> Particularly, please share your thoughts as to whether, in this context of
> IG or Information Society more broadly, civil society needs an analogue
> to what ICC BASIS (http://www.iccwbo.org/advocacy-codes-and-rules/basis/) is
> doing for business, and if so, what this would need to be like.
>
> Thanks for your cooperation.
>
>  Mawaki

>      http://www.igcaucus.org/

*Mehrzad Azghandi*