[governance] Global trade in medicines - we have a new regulator

McTim dogwallah at gmail.com
Mon Jul 28 16:30:08 EDT 2014

Hi Parminder,

On Mon, Jul 21, 2014 at 10:37 AM, parminder <parminder at itforchange.net> wrote:
> This is my question to all ICANN-ist here, that great multistakeholder body
> supposed to be representing the global interest.
>
> Why should the question of who is a legitimate actor for online medicine
> trade be decided by the US pharma industry

The Registry Operator for .pharmacy is NABP, who already decide who is
a "legitimate actor" for online medicine trade in several ways (see
VIPPS/Vet-VIPPS, etc on the website below:

http://www.nabp.net/about

"Founded in 1904, the National Association of Boards of Pharmacy
(NABP) is the impartial professional organization that supports the
state boards of pharmacy in protecting public health. NABP aims to
ensure the public’s health and safety through its pharmacist license
transfer and pharmacist competence assessment programs, as well as
through its VIPPS, Vet-VIPPS, VAWD, and DMEPOS accreditation programs.

NABP’s member boards of pharmacy are grouped into eight districts that
include all 50 United States, the District of Columbia, Guam, Puerto
Rico, the Virgin Islands, Australia, eight Canadian provinces, and New
Zealand. The Association is governed by its Executive Committee, whose
officers and members are elected during the Association’s Annual
Meeting.

For more on NABP’s members and its efforts to protect the public
health, see the Member and Government Affairs sections of the Web
site.

Preamble and Mission Statement

NABP’s efforts to protect the public health are guided by its Preamble
and Mission Statement.

Preamble
The National Association of Boards of Pharmacy (NABP) recognizes and
supports pharmacists serving as the health care professionals
responsible for providing patient care that ensures optimal medication
therapy outcomes. NABP also recognizes the ongoing and critical need
for patients’ medications to be managed by a licensed pharmacist and
state regulatory agencies to aggressively enforce standards of care.

NABP Mission Statement
NABP is the independent, international, and impartial association that
assists its member boards and jurisdictions for the purpose of
protecting the public health."

In other words, .pharmacy is NOT controlled by "big pharma".

As the Registry Operator for .pharmacy, NABP will be making the
decisions regarding name allocation using a set of International
Standards and Policies.  The decisions will NOT be made by
pharmaceutical companies or anyone in that industry.

 the most despised actor among
> public health practitioners and actors for trying to maintain unaffordably
> high prices for medicines the world over, and suppressing manufacture and
> trade of the much much cheaper generic dyrugs (in which, India is incidently
> a big players).
>
> Why should ICANN become a lever in the hands of big pharma?

It is clearly not in re: .pharmacy.

> Why cannot for instance WHO manage .pharmacy?

Because they didn't apply for it.

--
Cheers,

McTim