CS consensual statement on MSism WAS Re: [governance] Vint Verf tells us the conclusion of the complex IANA transition process

Jean-Christophe Nothias jeanchristophe.nothias at gmail.com
Sun Jul 27 11:57:35 EDT 2014

>From Avri's definition to Avri's new comment, I see quite a stretch! Thanks to that comment, the room for consensus with the other definition by Parminder is suddenly getting much smaller than what it seemed. The suggested definition was an interesting step forward in terms of trying to elaborate a CS consensus. But a so-called equal footing decision making at the public policy level for all stakeholders is a no go from my end.

I respect Avri's opinion about her tending to think that the more decisions are actually made on equal footing the better. But I fully disagree on both principles in terms of political science or political philosophy levels, and pragmatic level. Reality has brought me to see that this equal footing decision making is the most poisonous and insidious thing I can think of when it comes to public interest.

Moreover the absence of clarity about roles and definitions can only maintain a dangerous state of governance. Pilotage à vue, or governance with a géométrie variable can only favor asymmetry of diverse kinds. Does that serve best the public interest? Will the "Just ask and we will let you know later on, who is in charge on this one?" Aren't we done with that thinking?

JC