[governance] Vint Verf tells us the conclusion of the complex IANA transition process

parminder parminder at itforchange.net
Sat Jul 26 23:54:15 EDT 2014

On Saturday 26 July 2014 08:18 PM, Avri Doria wrote:
> Snip
> Whenever I need a definition, I use:
>

> The study and practice of forms of participatory democracy that allow
> for all those who have a stake and who have the inclination, to
> participate on equal footing in the deliberation of issues and the
> recommendation of solutions. While final decisions and implementation
> may be assigned to a single stakeholder group, these decision makers are
> always accountable to all of the stakeholders for their decisions and
> the implementations.

The definition above says that the 'equal footing' part is only for
participation in deliberation of issues and giving (I understand,
non-binding) recommendations of solutions. And that it does not apply to
actual decision making and implementation. However, this is not how the
term 'equal footing' is employed in the current MS discourse and the
MSist text that is sought to pushed into global documents, including at
NetMundial, CSTD WGs, and almost everywhere else. (I can provide any
number of proofs to support this assertion.) There is obviously a world
of difference between 'equal footing' for deliberations and rec giving,
on one hand, and public policy decision making and implementation, on
the other.

But lets not crib over the past. If this is the way Avri looks at MS
processes, and I see that Mawaki has noted the definition with some
enthusiasm, can we attempt what could be a 'grand reconciliation' :) ...
Between the so called MSist on one hand and those who profess global
democratic governance (called MLists by detractors), which division I
understand has almost universally been cited as the key factor causing
rifts in the IG related civil society, and making its contribution far
less effective than it could have been. A worthy cause to attempt,
anyone would say.

I propose that the IGC adopts the following text by consensus.

"With democratic multistakeholder processes we mean an equal footing
only for means and forums of deliberations and possible recommendation
(non binding) giving. The term 'equal footing' does not extent to
decision making and implementation."

Now, if people want to keep the issue of technical standards related and
other decisions out of such a formulation (as I would bec it admits of a
different dynamics) we can make clear that we are taking of public
policy decision  making, something which in fact is clear and given when
we begin to discuss democracy , which is the present context. but, still
can make it explicit, if only to avoid getting into that customary mess
of a policy processes related discussions being responded to with a
technical decisions related comment(s). So, maybe

"With democratic multistakeholder processes for public policies
development we mean an equal footing only for means and forums  of
deliberations and possible recommendation making (non binding) . The
term 'equal footing' does not extent to decision making and implementation."

The NEt Mundial document recommended that the ideas and concepts related
to democratic MS processes be discussed further and clarified. By
attempting the above, we will only be taking forward the work of NetMundial.

parminder