[governance] Root Server

David Conrad drc at virtualized.org
Fri Jul 25 10:10:54 EDT 2014

Parminder,

There is no change in my position.

Presumably, you can see the difference between these two cases:

1) the root server operator community refusing to accept an out-of-policy change coming from a compromised root zone generation process; and
2) a single root server operator unilaterally choosing to modify the contents of a valid zone.

In case #1, the root server operators can maintain the zone contents that existed prior to the out-of-policy change and the Internet's DNS will continue to work at least until the DNSSEC signature expires. This period of time would be sufficient for a separate signing and distribution infrastructure to be established and for the world's resolver operators to either abandon DNSSEC or for an emergency key roll to be performed.

In case #2, I believe it is quite unlikely a separate signing and distribution infrastructure would be established and even more unlikely all the world's resolver operators would be willing to do the emergency key roll to the new key, particularly since it would mean there would be a single root server. As a result, the single root server's responses would not validate.

In case #1, there would be tremendous disruption to the stability of the Internet's DNS. I believe the risk/cost of that disruption is (far) more than sufficient to deter any attempt to impose out-of-policy changes, particularly as it would be a "one way function": it would be impossible to reestablish any trust in previous system and all US government policy objectives related to the Internet would instantly be made moot. Since any attempt to modify the root out of policy would likely result in lawsuits, temporary restraining orders, etc., I believe there would be a vast amount of advance notice in which a separate signing/distribution infrastructure could be built should the US government go completely insane.

In case #2, the individual root server operator would simply be made largely irrelevant ("largely" because some resolvers would continue to probe the broken root server to see if it had been fixed, but none of the answers would validate so validating resolvers would simply drop those answers on the floor).  I doubt the operator of that root server would see this as being in any way advantageous.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
-drc