[governance] Root Server

parminder parminder at itforchange.net
Fri Jul 25 03:15:11 EDT 2014

David,

Your response below is extremely interesting.

Over the years we - you and I  - have had long discussions on this list
about whether and what kind of control the US exercised on the root of
the Internet. After a long argument from either side - certainly very
informative to me - it will finally come to speculating on what would
the non US (or even the US based but not US gov controlled) root
servers  do if US were to make a root change not authorised by a proper
global gov body, basically ICANN at present. You would always insist
that in your opinion these other root server operators will simply not
follow suit - and not follow the 'wrongful' root change. I would argue
that I very much expect them to fall in line - for legal reasons (in
case of US based servers) and geo-political reasons (in case of non US
ones, all being in US allied countries) . But since this counterfactual
scenario could not be proven either way, that would end our discussion.

What I see as interesting is your statement below now is that you *do
not* see how other root server operators *may not* follow the changes in
the authoritative root server (under US gov control). That is, you are
saying they will *have to* follow the changes made in authoritative root
file. But this is exactly the opposite of the argument that you always
used to deadlock our conversations about the problem of US control over
the authoritative root server. Will request you to share the reason for
the change in your position, as I understood it? (I must mention here
that our referred discussions took place after DNSSEC had been put into
place, and I did quote the relevance of DNSSEC being used although I did
say that I did not fully understand how it worked and used to seek your
help to know more about it.)

parminder