CS consensual statement on MSism WAS Re: [governance] Vint Verf tells us the conclusion of the complex IANA transition process

Norbert Bollow nb at bollow.ch
Thu Jul 31 17:33:46 EDT 2014

On Thu, 31 Jul 2014 20:52:06 +0000
Mawaki Chango <kichango at gmail.com> wrote:

> Would that have made more sense had I said that in this following way?
> If one adopts the perspective of MSism as in "the original notion of
> individuals
> speaking for themselves in shaping Internet policy," then a scaling
> problem arises at some point within that perspective? Because that
> was my starting point. In a different perspective, that problem may
> go away, indeed may not even exist.

That perspective is largely about what I referred to as 'a', and you
will find my answer there. As case in point, consider how it has come
about that the increase of the number of participants has not caused the
IETF to stop functioning.

> However, I note that while saying scaling is not at all a problem in
> case 'b', you're still considering the number of people behind a
> solution path ("getting enough people")

There my “enough” was not about numbers though, but about getting enough
input about the various relevant grass-roots perspectives. No kind of
information processing system can generate good outputs in the absence
of sufficient information in the inputs.

> Even a seemingly simple
> equation such as "one person, one vote" is not always easy to
> implement in a transnational, global online context.

In fact already in a national context what I'm talking about is not at
all easy to implement properly. I'm after all talking not just about
holding elections, but about creating real accountability. In regard to
the standard of democracy which I'm positing, for example the US has
very clearly and demonstrably become a failed state.

Nota bene I'm not advocating for implementing a "one person, one vote"
system at the global level. I think that implementing a good system of
that kind at the national level in each country is not only hard
enough, but also sufficient, together with something like what I'm
proposing at http://WisdomTaskForce.org .

Greetings,
Norbert