[governance] The Day We Fight Back - February 11th

Katitza Rodriguez katitza at eff.org
Tue Jan 21 22:19:20 EST 2014

Dear Friends of the Internet:

The Snowden revelations have provided us with disturbing details and
confirmation of some of our worst fears about the NSA and its partners
spying practices.  Indeed, the NSA and its five allies in five
English-speaking countries have been building a global surveillance
infrastructure to “master the internet” and spy on the worlds
communications.

They are undermining basic encryption standards, the very backbone of
the Internet. It has collected the phone records of hundreds of millions
of people not suspected of any crime. It has swept up the electronic
communications of millions of people at home and abroad
indiscriminately, exploiting the digital technologies we use to connect
and inform.  They have secretive data sharing agreements to bypass
domestic privacy protections and outside of the rule of law.

But we aren’t going to let the NSA and its five allies to ruin the
Internet. Inspired by the memory of Aaron, fueled by our victory against
SOPA and ACTA, we are joining the DayWeFightBack campaign to fight back
against mass surveillance at home and abroad.

To that end, we are asking you to join the campaign by:

1. Sending an email to rights at eff.org confirming your interest to
participate in this action;
2. Letting us know what you can do in your own country.

I'm hoping to have your answer as soon as possible so we can take the
next steps.

And if you have a huge newsletter database that can reach out to
thousands of individuals, please let us know that too. There might be
other ways where you can collaborate in the global campaign.

The SOPA and ACTA protests were successful because we all took part, as
a community. As Aaron put it, everybody "made themselves the hero of
their own story." We can set a date, but we need all of you, the users
of the Internet, to make it a movement.

More information

Timing

The public-facing side of this campaign, based on the timing suggested
by The Day We Fight Back organizers is February 11th.

Here's how you can join the effort:

1.  Visit TheDayWeFightBack.org.

2. If you are a citizen of the world, sign the 13 Necessary and
Proportionate Principles here:
https://en.necessaryandproportionate.org/take-action:

Note: We are currently revamping the site of the Necessary and
Proportionate Principles.

3.  Sign up to indicate that you'll participate and receive updates.

4. If you have a website, install a banner on February 11th.
If you work at a company with a website, let them know you think your
company should join the protest.

5. Use social media tools on the site to announce your participation.

6. Develop memes, tools, websites, and do whatever else you can to
participate and encourage others to do so.

7. Be creative. Organize your own action -- Call for the end of mass
surveillance at home and abroad.

Katitza Rodriguez
EFF International Rights Director