[governance] civil society co ordination group - call for comments

Suresh Ramasubramanian suresh at hserus.net
Mon Jan 20 04:26:08 EST 2014

The size of the volunteer pool matters.  The problem that historically plagues such a model is, you get essentially a much larger number of people favoring a particular ideology (from either side of the political spectrum) putting their names forward for consideration to be nomcom people.  And they end up rigging the process so that only a candidate that matches their views is selected.

If there's a random selection, an imbalance in the number of people of a particular ideology that puts their name forward increases the chance that the final nomcom includes a non trivial number of people following that ideology.

This happened sometime in the 1980s when a hard left faction of the British Labour Party first pushed through a rule mandating that it would play a role in selecting and re-nominating MPs, and then managed to eject several moderates in favour of people that shared a hard left ideology.

--srs (iPad)