[governance] Re: [discuss] CI case in itself was Re: [] [] Representative Multistakeholder model validity

parminder parminder at itforchange.net
Sun Jan 19 06:30:05 EST 2014

On Sunday 19 January 2014 09:40 AM, Adam Peake wrote:
> On Jan 19, 2014, at 12:57 PM, michael gurstein wrote:
>
>> There are several other associated lists but this is the main one.
>>

> Could you point to any discussions about Internet governance, I'm finding it hard to even see any real debate/community input to the declaration you often mention.  And any discussion about interest in the Brazil meeting and process:  other than email from yourself, Parminder and other IT for Change staff, and Norbert, who are all active/leaders of other civil society processes?

Adam

You are going down the right path, Adam.... Civil society must prove
itself by demonstrated work, linkages with various groups... It  is a
legitimacy always  in the making, continually to be proved and
re-proved, although too many people forget this basic feature of civil
society once they get into cushy positions close to power ...

Right, you may not have found many discussions on the CI list on IG
directly as seen and defined by many people here..... But you will have
noticed that almost every discussion there is regarding use of ICTs and
Internet for empowerment of people and communities, mostly those who are
currently disadvantaged. And there is considerabe traffic of such
postings, and a considerable diversity of participating members.  Is it
not necessary to get these views into discussions on what is passed off
as 'mainstream' IG. I hear a regular refrain in the IGF that it is
necessary to get in groups dealing with real world Internet related
issues. Do you think that registry-registrar relationships and the
intricacies of the whois database are the most important Internet
related issues for the people...

Now that you raised questions about the legitimacies of those who are
claiming exclusion, I think you would agree that the same questions are
also due for those are included (by shutting out others). Apart from the
very extra-ordinary spectacle of the civil society CC arrangement
putting out 3 out of 3 nominees for high level committee as people from
developed counties, and then the Giganet doing exactly the same - from a
cursory look I can see no candidate whose primary work and civil society
linkages are with grassroots community work and marginalised sections,
as for instance CI groups are. I'll be happy if you can show that I am
wrong in this assessment. Do you think this is not a problem? Is this
not a glaring exclusion? I think this is a huge problem. And this is
what this present discussion is all about. In the same way as civil
society as such fights to get into IG spaces, those who work with and
represent the interests of the marginalised groups have a right to fight
and struggle to create spaces for their participation. It is indeed very
inconvenient in the latter case to convert it into an issue of bad
manners and personal ambitions!

In fact, it was argued before the selections begun that work on/with
marginalised communities be made an explicit criterion among others for
selecting nominees. However, there were actually people on the list who
argued against this criterion (pretty unbelievable, really, for civil
society!) . I did not see the criterion listed in the final list. I
asked the chair of the selection committee if such a criterion was
applied, and he never cared to reply.

This is exclusion in capital letters. And it would not be accepted. And
sorry, if it hurts someone ears or eyes, you will keep hearing about it.
Putting up allegation of bad manners and personalising a political issue
of exclusion is an old tactic. Civil society isnt that weak to be cowed
down and retire in face of such tactics...

parminder

PS: Adam, Since you specifically mentioned IT for Change, you may like
to now that IT for Change runs a semi-autonomous entity 'Centre for
Community Informatics and Development' for the last 7 years or so, at a
rural town around 160 km for Bangalore. This entity works on numerous
field projects, and we at IT for Change build our IG perspectives inter
alia from our work over there. Do you see the link between community
informatics and IG?  May also add, that 2 years back my colleague Anita
edited a special edition of the Community Informatics journal on 'gender
and community informatics'..... and so on...