[governance] Re: [discuss] Selection RE: 1Net, Brazil and other RE: BR meeting site launched

parminder parminder at itforchange.net
Fri Jan 17 23:06:57 EST 2014

On Friday 17 January 2014 07:30 PM, Vladimir Radunovic wrote:

> Michael,
>
> I fully agree that there should be diversity of perspectives/concerns
> present in the SC, and that the current CS representatives do not
> formally represent all these. However, only 5 people (CS reps in the
> SC) - whoever they would be (me, you or anyone else) - can't possibly
> formally represent the full diversity of the CS; we would need dozens
> of representatives. What is important is that they care about
> diversity of perspectives/concerns and make sure to bring these into
> SC discussions at all points. Your detailed input about the
> Declaration are much appreciated and this is a good example of what
> should be seriously taken into consideration also, and there are many
> other relevant documents and concerns as well (as you rightly
> mentioned marginalised group, persons with disabilities, and others).
>
> So let's make sure that the 5 CS reps. pick up the diversity from 1Net
> list and other CS discussion fora, and bring this diversity to the SC
> table. I will do my best, and I am sure the others will as well.

Vlada

You cannot in this manner post facto technical-ize an essentially
political issue... And if indeed everything is so simple why did not the
repsof the 4 groups in the CS CC just not allow the Community
Informatics Network (CIN) rep also be a part of the selection panel? Do
you think that it is a fake group...

Denying political space and role to different groups, and the
corresponding claims of those so denied, are both highly political
acts... And they are best treated as such... It is not quite right that
those who participate actively in such political acts, and obtain
political roles (quite a legitimate thing to do), then hold forth on how
people should not aspire for such spaces/positions... No personal
offence implied, but lets not side step serious issues. Some claims may
be weightier than others, and that is fine. Some kind of sorting out
would need to be done as part of a political process.  One can discuss
that. It is entirely possible that Diplo Foundation and its alumuni
brings better and more effective (both criteria being important)
representation of what is normally considered civil society interests
than the Community Informatics Network (CIN) does. It is also entirely
possible that NCUC deals with issues more salient to general people
(civil society) than does CIN. All of this is quite possible. But such
should be the bases, or not, for some group being in there and other not
being there. All this is entirely political, as IG is political. Those
who dont think it is political, can as well step out of the space and
let those who consider it is political represent them...

The primary purpose of my comment is just to speak out against
technicalizing issues of representation. Can you say with confidence
that you and other members of the concerned committee or whatever will,
say, push the perspectives in the CI's Internet declaration as you would
the position i have heard you articulate. Or others in these committees
will do so vis a vis the positions I have seen them so strongly
advocate, and also strategize so actively around. Lets be real. We need
diversity in the people who represent and not just the views that they
claim they will pick up and push with equal force..

Also, is it not interesting that reps of four CS groups who are a part
of the selection process selected 5 persons for the 1Net committee, all
of which belong to the management structures of these four CS groups..
Indeed, quite a diversity seeking exercise! Could they not find one
person from outside, from the whole universe of civil society! Is this
not a high degree of insularity. And now these homilies, on being good
and nice people...

Before advice pours in to take such issues off this list, I must add
that civil society is always about a bit of a chaos.... Les our friends
from outside civil society learn the culture.

regards , parminder