[discuss] [governance] ICANN and WEF (was: Re: [bestbits] Fwd: Heads up on Brazil meeting preparation)

McTim dogwallah at gmail.com
Fri Jan 10 10:00:17 EST 2014

<cc list trimmed>

On Fri, Jan 10, 2014 at 2:13 AM, Jean-Christophe NOTHIAS I The Global
Journal <jc.nothias at theglobaljournal.net> wrote:
> I would certainly not go into a conspiracy here. I would simply emphasize
> the fact that at the time the enormous pressure on him was certainly not of
> great help regarding his personal health. You are right to say that Postel
> just passed away, like we will all do. His 'exit' is not about his death by
> underlies the way he was taken off the Internet pre-historic governance
> road. In the months before his passing away, the overall 'governance' went
> through a complete reshuffle. As he resisted the move, Postel went through a
> rather hard time, facing Magaziner's assignment to transform the by-then
> governance of the Internet into something different, something that could be
> given to the USG

You seem to be working under the assumption that IANA wasn't working
under a contract with the USG at the time.

, which would officially give it back to a new entity
> labeled ICANN. Had the USG to take into its hands, and anymore right to give
> to a Californian non profit with no check and balance except from the
> Department of Commerce? Since then ICANN has never proved strong enough to
> become independent from its master.

See the evolution from MoU to AoC/ATRT to Whatever comes out of 1net/Brazil.

 This wrong turn in digital history has
> been more than documented but that many tend to ignore. So I feel I can stop
> here on that.
>
> I do not see conspiracy here, but plain politics and power game.
>
> That sounds to me like having a fresh memory is very useful when we think of
> building a new system of governance in the context of international data and
> meta-data. As the concentration of power is highly asymmetrical, we can
> obviously expected a strong resistance to changing the status quo. Very
> common sense. Not true?

We can expect resistance to change from a system that works remarkable
well to ....???

--
Cheers,

McTim