[governance] Call for Nominations - Brazil committees

Norbert Bollow nb at bollow.ch
Mon Jan 6 16:33:39 EST 2014

Jeremy and Ian and all,

this is an expression of interest to serve on the Executive Committee
for the São Paulo meeting.

My chief interest in this context is to contribute to ensuring that
the agenda setting process for the São Paulo meeting will be
sufficiently inclusive of all relevant perspectives: Of course a single
two-days event that aims to reach a consensus on an outcome document
cannot productively address a too big range of topics, but I would
insist that it is critically important to carefully ensure that the
framing of the discourse on those topics is open enough that no kinds
of perspectives, especially no civil society perspectves, are excluded
from the outset.

Brief biography: Born in Germany in 1968 and attended public schools
there; moved to Switzerland in 1985 and studied mathematics and physics
and some informatics in Zurich. Significant technical experience
especially with FOSS technologies and standardization work. Active in
organized civil society processes related to IT and the Internet since
2004. Careful to keep the topics of civil society engagement separated
clearly from the topics of business interests.

Relevant experience includes:
* Chairmanship of the “Swiss Internet User Group” (SIUG), 2006-2009.
* Having successfully negotiated, as a civil society person, with
  Microsoft a fix to their patent non-assertion pledge regarding OOXML
  and some other specifications to resolve a potential patent threat
  to GPL-licensed software. (PJ of Groklaw was so surprised that she
  published a picture of a flying pig, in relation to this.)
* Chairmanship of the Swiss mirror committee for international
  standards on “Document Description and Processing Languages".
* Participation in the drafting process for the outcome document of
  the 2013 WSIS+10 review event in Paris.
* Having served as a co-coordinator of the IGC for most of 2013.
* Participated and organized workshops at multiple IGFs. This includes
  successful cooperation with the “focal points” for the CSTD Enhanced
  Cooperation WG for all non-governmental stakeholder constituencies to
  hold a workshop at the Bali IGF on “MS selection processes:
  accountability and transparency” (workshop 127).

Greetings,
Norbert