[bestbits] Re: [governance] Re: [CoNE-elist 632] Agenda EMC meeting

Adam Peake ajp at glocom.ac.jp
Fri Feb 21 12:57:28 EST 2014

Hi Marilia,

On Feb 22, 2014, at 2:27 AM, Marilia Maciel wrote:

> Hi Norbert, thanks for this comment. The information that EMC members received was that the chair of the meeting, Mr. Virgilio, expected to have an initial input to the Meeting. His understanding was that it would be a task for the EMC to produce this initial input based on the contributions received.
>
> According to my understanding, meeting participants would be free to do whatever they want with that document. It would be only an initial input. If it is good, it can be used as the basis for further work. If it is not, it can be changed. If it is awful (hope not), it can be discarded. My own opinion is that with approximately 12 hours of work during the two days and no possibility to divide participants in two tracks due to limitations of the venue it is important to have at least a starting point.

This is my understanding as well.  Although the official agenda time is 8.5 hours of plenary: 4 on the roadmap topic and 4.5 on principles (or is it the other way round?)  Then we'll have some evening sessions perhaps.

Whether it is a single document or a package I don't think is all that clear.  I can imagine different outcomes on the two issues. But we still need to work on modalities.

It might be helpful is we had a discussion about how we will get from the first documents, that is the synthesis paper and contributions (available around March 15th I think), to documents we can take into the meeting on April 23rd. What kind of output would we like?  What's our goal?

Given the known limitations, what goal(s) can we aim for?

> Of course, I will convey different opinions.

I actually disagree with what I understand Norbert is suggesting.  Starting with a blank slate would create a process favoring those with the financial resources to attend the meeting, or a best the ability to stay online for 2 days trusting remote access (impossible for anyone without robust broadband access and power - and then there's simple things like time zone.)  Unless I am missing something.

Best,

Adam