[governance] For a change an oped in the Hindu that advocates multistakeholderism rather than support for the CIRP

Suresh Ramasubramanian suresh at hserus.net
Tue Feb 18 22:28:57 EST 2014

> On 18-Feb-2014, at 18:47, Chetan Khanna <chetankhanna93 at gmail.com> wrote:
> before you get in the technicalities. have to ask you one thing. in order to solve the problems of India just building jobs is a guarantee of a better livelihood? Or are we just beating about the bush as usual? Have we seen the attrition rates? Rates of underemployment? So what are we driving at?

You are asking me to prove a negative.  If you want a correlation between building jobs and the economy, GDP, and other measures of people's livelihood, I must refer you to any number of articles by economists who will examine this with more nuance than this.

> The rest of the questions i do not find worth answering. They are useless and are only dismissive. I believe you urself do not what you are saying.

I think we have a communication gap here so I won't discuss this with you any further, except to ask one question about your cited article below.

> And for the benefit of all the mail-list readers would like you to read
>
> http://cgcsblog.asc.upenn.edu/2014/02/14/is-the-internet-becoming-a-new-political-mantra-in-india/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+CGCSMediaWire+%28The+Center+for+Global+Communication+Studies+%28CGCS%29%29

So - is the argument that the internet is being heavily used (and also massively abused) in political campaigns in India and around the world supposed to be at odds with the various calls of support for multistakeholderism and free expression on the Internet?

In a more rigidly controlled internet, opposition political party activists would be gagged and censored from using the internet to express their opinions, let alone campaign for their chosen candidate.  That is certainly the case in more than one country in the world.

India, so far, remains constitutionally committed to free speech [with some limits that are continually tested in court] and so far, has a telecom ministry that continues to advocate multistakeholderism (as I heard Minister Sibal mention in his keynote at a recent conference) and also has some other ministries that remain equally committed to multilateral internet governance that remains solely an intergovernmental affair.

I must confess, I can't quite see your point here.

-suresh