[governance] RE: [bestbits] Call for Transparency Process for 1Net

michael gurstein gurstein at gmail.com
Sun Feb 9 17:16:40 EST 2014

I must admit to finding it quite bizarre to see folks on the one hand extolling the necessity for Transparency in the abstract while declaiming on the possibility of “capture”, and then refusing to support its application in the concrete; talking about the application of Transparency to multistakeholder processes in the sky by and by and not supporting it when it is suggested for an immediate and significant application and one moreover which is impacting on current CS activities and outputs.

Precisely what are people afraid of in insisting that 1Net, a formation that was interposed and interposed itself between “CS” and the Brazil meeting, make transparent its decision making processes including in the crucial areas of financial supports and expenditures and decisions as to inclusions and exclusions.  This is the absolute minimum that would be expected from any public body or agency. And certainly it would appear that many of the folks in this discussion not only are seeing MS structures such as 1Net as supplemental public bodies, they are seeing them as central public bodies in the Internet public policy space.

Insisting that the responsible parties in 1Net spend the hour or two required to provide a public accounting of their actions, resources and procedures would provide an opportunity to clear the air and to assure all and sundry that no elements of corporate or other capture have been involved or are inserted into the structures that have been provided for framing the on-going discussion. Or perhaps are those opposing this absolutely minimum measure afraid of what might be revealed.

It is surely worthy of note that none of those on the 1Net Steering Committee have as yet provided comment on this discussion as for example, by giving instances of how they were consulted in the contracting of the “Summary” and the design of the “Forums” and the “Forums website”. This would go some way in providing assurance of at least a certain degree of internal transparency.

If something as simple and straightforward as this is so fiercely resisted by certain CS and other parties, what possible assurance is there that there will be any effective oversight or overwhelming insistence on Transparency and Accountability for the more elaborate and complex MS processes which are so widely and loudly being touted by one and all and including so many involved in this discussion.