[governance] Re: [bestbits] RSVP - discussion of governance mechanisms (was Re: substantive proposals for Brazil summit - IG)

Ian Peter ian.peter at ianpeter.com
Sun Feb 9 02:26:22 EST 2014

That's a great article, Parminder, and points to the dangers of
multistakeholderism being taken over by corporate interests. A real and
present danger.

But doesn't the same danger exist within the nation state system we call
democracy? In my country at least (Australia), we have a history of Murdoch
media telling people who to vote for, and they follow. We also have a long
history of governments of all political persuasions bowing to corporate
interests in determining policy, with all too frequent outbreaks of corrupt
payments to politicians and political parties. The power of corporate
"donations", from what I can see, is even worse in some other countries.

And of course the history of the UN is hardly one of real equitable
arrangements between these corruptible nation states either.

The article you quote alludes to this problem, stating  as regards nation
states ; "A ‘global redesign’ is no doubt needed, but one that should
genuinely reflect “everybody’s business” by preventing business interests
from crowding the public out of the tent ".

I couldn't agree more.

For us I think the lesson is that multistakeholderism is, like any form of
governance, highly corruptible .

The term multistakeholder appears to have entered or vocabulary in about
2004. As Markus Kummer points out, "it is worth mentioning that in the
discussions on Internet governance during the first phase of WSIS, the term
usually used to describe the existing arrangements was “private
sector-leadership”, in line with the language used in the setting up of the
Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers (ICANN)".

It should be remembered then that the term multistakeholder was retrofitted
to existing internet governance, rather than being a central design element.

Ian Peter