[governance] Fwd: [cs-coord] Civil Society Speakers for IGF Closing Ceremony

Jean-Christophe Nothias jeanchristophe.nothias at gmail.com
Wed Aug 27 13:41:05 EDT 2014

Milton,

Why is it that you hardly make a difference between:
- One hero  delivering a speech that would be a "rough-consensus" summary, some sort of fusion of all ideas expressed by CS
and
- One decent honest broker trying to express what are the diverse opinions, highlighting where he might see ground for possible consensus/progress/convergence (don't need to be "rough" under a democratic flag)
?

Who talks about that bizarre pot where everything would melt and reappear in a fabulous narrative turned non sense. I am really wondering.

The point is not for the closing ceremony speakers to invent a consensus. Just maybe to speak for all the diversity of views and opinions. Out of partisanship.

By trying to rush to these minimalist grounds (I agree with you over the danger that they represent), all debates, all discussions are simply lost for any progress or pragmatism, to the profit of the dominant party. This is where this game, in all venues, is being twisted for years. And your answer is simply made of the same poor glue. Stick to the mainstream powerful, with some kinder gardens here and there for the "good guys" to enjoy a ride to Montevideo, Sao Paulo... And sometime stands-up and say "what you believe need to be said".

In your answer, you precisely use the existence of these minimalist results, part of your own thinking and handling of the IG debate, to refuse the debate. When you should to the contrary come to think over that little moment, as something that could be different. A signal for progress!

But by refusing to have a diversity of views, the two brilliants US CS members, speakers at the closing ceremony will betray the need for a democratic MS build-up called in by the Sao Paulo declaration. Do you remember the statement on that?

Say what "YOU" believe needs to be said. Fine. I am sure you will have the two standard laughing moments like all good US speakers do.  Good for you indeed. But this will simply be another shot in the air.

IG doesn't need heroes carrying dead rough consensus, it needs debates, honest debates, and diversity of expressions and views, before it can even think of converging to a form/state of progress. I am simply one among many that speaks in the open on this issue. Sorry about that.

JC
(I still wish you the best for your speech)