[governance] Major Internet Outages in the US

michael gurstein gurstein at gmail.com
Wed Aug 27 10:59:13 EDT 2014

The Internet apparently has been down for millions in the US for several
hours. Problems with Time Warner Cable.

Sent: Wednesday, August 27, 2014 7:31 AM
Subject: Learnings from @DownDetector

Time Warner Cable has been down for hours here in New York City. Also Los
Angeles, Philadelphia, Pittsburgh, and dozens of other cities. Go to
DownDetector.com <http://downdetector.com/>  and you'll see charts and maps
for many ISPs and Web services. Interesting stuff. Never saw it before. (I'm
getting on the Net by grace of T-Mobile and my cell phone. Guess TWC doesn't
handle T-M's backhaul.)

Here is TWC's outage chart <http://downdetector.com/> , and here's a map of
current outage areas <http://downdetector.com/status/time-warner-cable> .

Here is
<http://blogs.law.harvard.edu/vrm/2014/08/27/learning-from-bad-twc-cx/>
something reported earlier (with a map) when it was worse.

Here is @TWC_Help <https://twitter.com/twc_help> . It's so unhelpful that it
reminds me of National Lampoon's old Tell Debby column. (Look up "Debby" in
this archive here
<https://archive.org/stream/National_Lampoon_v1n45_1973-12_Self-Indulgence/N
ational_Lampoon_v1n45_1973-12_Self-Indulgence_djvu.txt> . Her advice to the
agonized was usually something like "How very unfortunate.") @TWC_Help's
last three posts were a few hours ago, five days ago and twelve days ago.
The latest one says "We're working to restore services to all areas as
quickly as possible; no ETR. Tweets will be delayed while this is
addressed." I guess @TWC_Help's lone tweeter needs to put on a hard hat and
work down a manhole somewhere. "All hands on... something!"

As you can see from the chart above, TWC seems to be getting on top of the
problem. The Net just came back up here at my corner of Manhattan (the north
one). Meanwhile, it's interesting to scan across DownDetector to see what's
up, at least around the U.S. Particulars: AT
<http://downdetector.com/status/att> &T, Charter
<http://downdetector.com/status/charter-communications> , Netflix
<http://downdetector.com/status/netflix> . All the others (and they are
legion) go to 404s.