[governance] IGC Funds

Deirdre Williams williams.deirdre at gmail.com
Fri Aug 22 11:24:33 EDT 2014

Dear Colleagues,
Ever since the handover in January/February paying the hosting bill for the
IGC website has been a problem.
The first bill found me in London taking care of my daughter and new
grandson. When the payment process wouldn't work I assumed that I was
distracted and making mistakes, so I paid the bill from my own funds.
The second time the same thing happened with the same result - Paypal
refused to release the funds, even though there was more than enough
available to pay, so I paid myself.
I was consulting with Jeremy all of the time because he initially set up
the Paypal account. The second time we decided that the account needed a
credit card to back it. Jeremy generously used his card. For reasons
connected with the Paypal account mine wasn't acceptable.
The latest bill arrived earlier this month. This time Paypal wanted
verification to a cell phone number, but of course it wanted to use
Jeremy's number, and there was no way we could find to change the number.
Then we thought that I could open a new IGC account and Jeremy could
transfer the funds - except that Paypal here only allows you to send money,
not to receive payments.
So - Jeremy has now transferred all of the IGC fund to Evorack, the
webhosting service, as a credit. When the hosting bill arrives the co-cos
simply need to release the funds in payment.. The credit is enough to cover
several years of hosting.
This is not a very satisfactory solution but it was the best that we could
manage. Please accept the payments that I made as a general contribution to
the cause:-)
I am furious with Paypal for causing so much grief. I assume that the
arrangement worked for Norbert and Sala? So why not for me?
If anyone on the list has suggestions for a more efficient and less painful
way of managing funds that the IGC might have from time to time then I'm
sure we would all be very grateful to hear about it.
I hope that this is a satisfactory explanation, but please ask if you need
any clarification.
I am SO relieved to have escaped from Paypal!
Best wishes
Deirdre

--
“The fundamental cure for poverty is not money but knowledge" Sir William
Arthur Lewis, Nobel Prize Economics, 1979