[governance] The #netgov icebucket challenge-Call for comments - Shape IGF Best Practices!

Subi Chaturvedi subi.igp at gmail.com
Fri Aug 22 07:20:05 EDT 2014

Dear all,

I thank Jeremy for raising this. You will recall that he has shared
information about the Best Practice Forum on enhancing multistakeholder
participation. And has pointed out gaps in engagement. The IGF secretariat
has just issued a call for inputs on BPFs draft.  This is a significant
step forward and one of the many ways in which the IGF is trying to respond
to community inputs which have crystalised over the last year for
strengthening the IGF and the IGF itself evolving in response to the
changing internet ecosystem.

This is important, also because the Tunis agenda, though for many may
remain contested but is still largely the genesis of what we do at IGF. And
it is this agenda which mandates the IGF to build capacity especially for
developing countries and emerging economies.

At the moment we have about 40 national and regional initiatives. We want
to see more. There are also important issues which need mapping and urgent

During the first meeting of the MAG early this year there was a call by
some of us to work towards this goal. Of responding towards building the
knowledge agenda. And it was suggested with community inputs at the Paris
consultation, ISOC working closely with and through the MAG will provide
leadership in mapping and diseminating Best practices. Our colleague
Constance has been leading this effort with valuable inputs coming from the
different stakeholder groups.

This is to share with you, that the IGF Secretariat just issued a call for
comments on the draft IGF Best Practices. All stakeholders are invited to
provide input by by 5 September 2014 on the following themes:

1.     Developing meaningful multistakeholder participation mechanisms

2.     Regulation and mitigation of unwanted communications (e.g. "spam")

3.     Establishing and supporting Computer Emergency Response Teams
(CERTs) for Internet security

4.     Creating an enabling environment for the development of local content

5.     Best practices for online child protection

You can also explore resources for each issue (lead experts, background
documentation, etc.), available on the IGF Best Practices homepage:
http://www.intgovforum.org/cms/best-practice-forums

We encourage you to take an active part in this opportunity to shape
concrete outcomes of IGF 2014!

More about the process:
Over the past weeks, communities gathering experts from government,
business, Civil Society, and the academic and technical communities, have
been working through open mailing lists and online virtual meetings on IGF
Best Practices.

The discussion was documented by independent experts that will feed into
five 90 minute Forums in Istanbul and that will in turn report into a Best
Practices Main Session.  A summary booklet on each Best Practices theme is
the intended outcome. The drafts are open for comments until 5 September
and will be published after the IGF 2014 meeting.

Read more about the IGF: http://www.intgovforum.org/cms/

Please spread the word through your networks!

A big thank you to all who have already contributed and those who haven't
yet,  urge you to send in your inputs about these very critical themes.
While negotiated outcomes are complex and come with their own set of
challenges,  sure there are advantages but this is an opportunity to create
and ecosystem bottom up through your contributions and participation with
outcomes and specific take aways at the IGF 2014.
I thank you for your time. Constance Bommelaer for not not dropping the
ball and providing excellent leadership.
For #netgov this is our icebucket. Pour and spread the word.

Best regards,

Subi Chaturvedi