[governance] Closing ceremony - CS speaker - URGENT

Anja Kovacs anja at internetdemocracy.in
Fri Aug 22 09:06:30 EDT 2014

On the Best Bits email list, the name of Dr Burcu Kilic, was proposed, who
works for Public Citizen mainly on trade and access to
medicines issues.  She is Turkish so she has a good perspective on the
political
situation there. Several people on the BB list know her well and have
worked with her, and there was widespread support for her nomination (more
than fifteen messages). Burcu would be willing to serve if nominated.

Perhaps it is wortwhile for IGC to consider nominating Burcu as well, and
maybe even only her (there were no other nominations on the BB list
either), as this would make maximise the chances that the voices and
concerns of Turkish CS get heard within the IGF as well. So far, the space
provided is extremely limited.

If we propose the same name, and at the same time note that counter the
tradition, we were not consulted on the name of the person for the opening
ceremony (I agree with Parminder that we should do so, though I also agree
that we're very lucky to have Deirdre!), we might actually be able to get
this through.

Thanks and best,
Anja

On 21 August 2014 23:33, Louis Pouzin (well) <pouzin at well.com> wrote:

> Propaganda: bottom-up.
> Reality: top-down
> What's new ?
>
> Luckily Deirdre is a fine choice.
>
> Louis
> - - -
>

> On Thu, Aug 21, 2014 at 6:18 PM, parminder <parminder at itforchange.net>
> wrote:
>
>>  I am all for Dierdre for the opening ceremony, but one thing I could
>> not understand.
>>
>> How was the selection for opening ceremony slot made by MAG (or whoever
>> made it), but that of closing ceremony passed to CS groups to give
>> nominations for... Isnt is it a bit ad hoc, and I think civil society
>> should ask questions about ad hoc and unexplained processes of public
>> institutions..
>>
>> parminder

>      http://www.igcaucus.org/

Dr. Anja Kovacs