[governance] WEF's NetMundial Initiative and civil society

Jean-Louis FULLSACK jlfullsack at orange.fr
Mon Aug 18 18:17:28 EDT 2014

 +1 for this, Parminder !

This reminds me an attempt -actually a hidden "coup d'Etat"- from Bertrand de la Chapelle during a PrepCom CS Plenary meeting in the Geneva phase for establishing a "mixed PS-CS body" for having a stronger voice in WSIS decision making ....  With the WEF as a "stakeholder" in the IG process, CS is definitely in progress !

Jean-Louis Fullsack

> [...]

> 4. What will happen next? Yes, the civil society participants at the WEF meeting will certainly say; no, this, is not the right way to do things. And 'they' will say, sorry, we did not mean to hurt you. We can always figure out the right way. And some concessions will be thrown civil society's way, like: ok, we will allow you to choose your reps (and then some groups/ persons will choose one another and be right back, now on the behalf of the global civil society), we will have a second phase after Feb 2015, which will be so much better (there is always a promised second phase, isnt it), and so on. With the hiccups accounted for, global IG civil society will again put back its pretty smile, and off it would sail, happily hereafter, in the lap of the richest and the most powerful, precisely from whom the Internet needs to be saved. But forget such petty details! We must celebrate the spirit and actions of multistakeholderism and not allow minor issues to come in its way!
>
> But then maybe I am just a niggardly conspiracy theorist, and civil society actors here are going to get together and shoot a letter to the WEF to the effect that - it is none of their business to
> take up leadership of the NetMundial process, and we strongly resent efforts to highjack it. The plans for the proposed NetMundial Initiative must be shelved immediately, while WEF is welcome to undertake any IG initiative under any name that it deems fit, which is not a stolen one. In any case, do NOT expect any civil society actor to turn up, or at least none of those undersigned are going to be there... May, I suggest that we write such a letter from various civil society groups. Because I am bored with making up conspiracy theories :)

On Saturday 16 August 2014 11:23 AM, parminder wrote:

Tom/ All

> A much bigger problem than of allocating technology provided gains between work (along with over consumption) and leisure (with more controlled consumption) is of the allocation between different groups and classes of people, and between different geo-regions. It is a completely inexcusable crime of all those who participate in the management of our societies today that even with such stupendous technology/ productivity gains, about 13 percent of the world's population still goes to bed hungry, and more than 30 percent of the children in developing countries are stunted due to malnourishment (In India, close to 40 percent). Nearly half the world's population lives on less that 2.5 dollars a day.
>
> "The world produces enough food to feed everyone...... the principal underlying cause of poverty and hunger is the ordinary operation of the economic and political systems in the world. Essentially control over resources and income is based on military, political and economic power that typically ends up in the hands of a minority, who live well, while those at the bottom barely survive, if they do."  http://www.worldhunger.org/articles/Learn/world%20hunger%20facts%202002.htm
>
> Meanwhile, wealth disparities are rising globally, at most places very rapidly. A recent report says that "the lower half of the global population possesses barely 1% of global wealth, while the richest 10% of adults own 86% of all wealth, and the top 1% account for 46% of the total. " And the concentration of wealth is worsening almost everywhere.
>
> Nice time one would say to attempt to move the locus of global Internet governance to the World Economic Forum, that Mecca of the 1 percent, where 'they' develop blue prints for where the world should go from here. We certainly need their advice and leadership for shaping and governing the global Internet. Power on the Internet isnt already concentrated enough!
>
> One can only congratulate all those involved with the initiative, and those contributing to it!
>
> Poor those who have been trying to occupy places that signified wealth concentration - the occupy movement. It appears that it is the civil society that is getting occupied in reverse. And it is running into the trap gleefully, with open arms.
>
> parminder

On Saturday 16 August 2014 09:11 AM, Thomas Lowenhaupt wrote:

Mike,

> Long ago I thought this problem could be solved by reallocating resources: The availability of farm machinery has created more food than we know what to do with; and half of New York seems to be filled with storage bins filled with the abundance of manufactured goods. And I thought that people be happy to retire at 30.
>
> But assuming an abundance of energy and no environmental limitations, would I like a 50 year retirement? These days I seem to live for my work. If some machine takes it away, I'd be left with a diminished life.
>
> How important is work to most peoples lives?
>
> Yes, I agree with the video, and the clock seems to be ticking.
>
> By posting on the governance list are you suggesting that Internet governance and "technology management" be combined?
>
> Tom Lowenhaupt

On 8/15/2014 6:42 PM, michael gurstein wrote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Pq-S557XQU

So what do we do?

     governance at lists.igcaucus.org