[governance] WSIS 10+

Jean-Christophe NOTHIAS I The Global Journal jc.nothias at theglobaljournal.net
Mon Aug 4 05:08:55 EDT 2014

Thanks Wolfgang,

One or two things that you might be keen to comment as well.
- Governments are neither blind nor deaf. We cannot assume that governments will not consider all of what has been said, discussed, written over the last 10 years. That would be dishonest. So please do not start do demonize them again.
- Should the US government had a different stand over the last 10 years, and not just a UN-bashing, other-governments bashing, democracy bashing, univocal stand, status-quoer attitude, we might have made much more progress to have CS (with its diversity of opinions and suggestions) as a stronger participant today. Domination delivers asymmetry, and until we have a democratic MS model to offer, there will be very little progress.

We all know about the money Google, ICANN, the 5* and others put into the anti 2012 WCIT campaign, in attending any possible venue to shot at 'evil' governments, even the friendly ones. We cannot be surprised by the fact that governments have a voice, and that so far, only one government confiscated the mic among this category of stakeholder. I am not mentioning Sweden, the UK, Japan, and the commonwealth that have aligned themselves with USG for reasons I do not need to explain here.

It simply means that the multistakehoderism in use so far is greatly responsible for not giving all stakeholders in particular governments and CS, a better and larger representation of views and opinions within its fora.

So CS should write to USG and ask for a change not only in their tactic and strategy, but in their philosophy about IG governance.

CS pays for that unilateral thinking by one small group of stakeholders.

A personal view obviously.

JC