CS consensual statement on MSism WAS Re: [governance] Vint Verf tells us the conclusion of the complex IANA transition process

Deirdre Williams williams.deirdre at gmail.com
Fri Aug 1 07:51:26 EDT 2014

Considering the topic of this discussion should we examine our own process
as well? Is this how we think "multistakeholder process" should work - a
largish voluntary participation in discussion of an issue and then break
into a (closed) committee? Can you arrive at true consensus from a
committee process?
These questions all came up in discussion at the LACIGF in Argentina 2013
when there was a very interesting breakout session on this issue. It does
seem as if the technology that has "created" this problem by making global
inclusion a real possibility should also be able to solve it. Jeremy - will
liquidfeedback do that? can it accommodate people who think and express
themselves in languages other than English for example? (The language issue
was very evident in Argentina) And how technically able do you need to be
to use it, because the constituency of people who are affected (see earlier
definitions of stakeholder that have been suggested) is much greater than
those with technical ability.
A problem with NETmundial was the perception that, in the end, important
parts of the decision-making were done in a closed session.

On 1 August 2014 00:52, Ian Peter <ian.peter at ianpeter.com> wrote:

> I'd b happy to work with a smaller group on this. If we have a
> representative group with our divergent opinions represented, that would
> help to get to some words likely to be acceptable to the larger group.
>
> Ian
>
> -----Original Message----- From: Jeremy Malcolm
> Sent: Friday, August 01, 2014 10:29 AM
> To: governance at lists.igcaucus.org ; bestbits at lists.bestbits.net
>
> Subject: Re: CS consensual statement on MSism WAS Re: [governance] Vint
> Verf tells us the conclusion of the complex IANA transition process

>      http://www.igcaucus.org/

“The fundamental cure for poverty is not money but knowledge" Sir William
Arthur Lewis, Nobel Prize Economics, 1979