[governance] Quick update on WGEC meeting day 1

Avri Doria avri at acm.org
Wed Apr 30 18:19:03 EDT 2014

Hi,

Well day one came and went.

We reviewed some of the recommendation that had not yet been reviewed,
and once again got hung up on the fundamental differences:

- Enhanced cooperation is only about governments
- Enhanced cooperation is about all stakeholders.

- Para 32 says all there is to say about Respective Roles and
Responsibilities
- Para 32 needs to be revisited to match reality.

- WGEC needs to deliver a consensus report
- WGEC can come out with a report that reports the varying models

- We trust the chair and he can write a chapeau discussing the
differences of viewpoint.
- we like the chair, but he is just human, we need to write up our own
viewpoints.

- we should go back to our hotels and write up a brief (several line)
opinion of Enhanced Cooperation and Multistakeholderism
- we don't need to do this but should continue working on trying to find
the item(s) we can reach consensus on.

(I expect most groups have been doing the homework just in case there is
a quiz)

The Sessions are broadcast live.  I do not know if there are archived
recording, but there probably are - I will check.  The CSTD secretariat
has come a long way in the short year this WG has been working.  From a
first meeting where streaming was not possible, to a meeting 11 months
later, with streaming and remote participation for absent WG members -
not that any did participate as far as I know.

Process wise, Observers are allowed to comment but only in a 15 minute
slot just before breaks.

While we had brief reports on NETmundial, the IGF, ITU activities etc,
these were not discussed as there were those who argued that these were
not immediately relevant to the work of the WGEC which has its own
mandate. The chair concurred.

Tomorrow is another day.

avri

(a cs nominated member of the wgec)