[governance] DNS [Property or Public Good]

Diego Rafael Canabarro diegocanabarro at gmail.com
Mon Apr 21 20:42:11 EDT 2014

Despite of having a different background and an opposite understanding of
international (and Internet) politics than that of Milton Mueller, I
believe his 2007 "Property and Commons in Internet Governance" is a good
starting point from an analytical perspective on this issue:

Property and Commons in Internet Governance

Milton Mueller <http://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/cf_dev/AbsByAuth.cfm?per_id=140619>
Syracuse University - School of Information Studies

October 1, 2007

*Abstract: *
This paper re-examines the property-commons dichotomy as it applies to
Internet governance. Its main point is that commons and property are not
mutually exclusive, totalizing principles for economic organization, but
merely different methods of organizing access to resources. These two
methods can and often do co-exist, and are often interdependent and
mutually reinforcing. As an extension of this approach, the paper pays
careful attention to the specific political economy factors that sustain or
advance commons-like arrangements in telecommunications and Internet
governance. Using four case studies, it finds that "the commons" as an
institutional option is rarely implemented as the product of communitarian
compacts or a sharing ethic. It is more likely to be an outcome of interest
group contention. A commons is a way for an alliance of non-dominant actors
to "neutralize" a strategic resource that is, or might be, controlled by a
dominant actor.

The paper begins with a conceptual discussion of commons and exclusive
property in informational and network goods. Next, the paper examines four
case studies involving the interaction of commons and private property. The
first case is about equal access arrangements in long distance telephony in
the U.S.; the next is about the Internet protocols and the end-to-end
principle; the third is about network neutrality; the last is about domain
names and IP address governance. Three of these four case studies were
selected because they cover the three fundamental areas where policy issues
related to exclusive rights might arise in Internet governance.

On Fri, Apr 4, 2014 at 5:30 PM, Garth Graham <garth.graham at telus.net> wrote:

> On 2014-04-04, at 12:46 PM, Karl Auerbach wrote:
>
> > You mentioned measuring the benefits in advance of action.  I don't see
> how that can work, particularly on the internet where it is difficult to
> foresee benefits and malafits (that's a word I made up to mean the opposite
> of a benefit).
>
> Not quite.  I mentioned that explanation before the fact ... allows for an
> action to define in advance its own standard by which it's effectiveness
> and fairness can be measured after the fact.
>
> GG

>      http://www.igcaucus.org/

*Diego R. Canabarro*
http://lattes.cnpq.br/4980585945314597
diego.canabarro [at] *ufrgs.br <http://ufrgs.br>*
diegocanabarro [at] *gmail.com <http://gmail.com>*
Cell # +55-51-8108-1098
Skype: diegocanabarro

*GT Governança Digital*

*Centro de Estudos Internacionais sobre Governo (CEGOV)*

Campus do Vale, prédio 43322 - Av. Bento Gonçalves, 9500
Porto Alegre / RS CEP 91509-900
Fone: +55 51 3308.9860 / 3308.9934 / Site: *www.cegov.ufrgs.br
<http://www.cegov.ufrgs.br/>*